US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Planes don't usually blow up in mid air because of a mechanical failure. I think the last was TWA 800?

Being hit by a missile certainly seems a strong possibility.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2020, 05:28:14 PM
Iran says it is impossible that a missle brought down the flight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-missile-iran-1.5420736

So the missiles were purchased in 2007.  Trump has claimed that the missiles were bought with money furnished from Obama.  This leads us to one terrifying conclusion: President Obama has the ability to move backwards in time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

A simpler explanation would be that Obama furnished the funds before he was President.   :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ancient Demon

It's likely Iran shot down the plane, but it was probably not intentional (they could gain nothing from this).
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2020, 08:10:18 PM
Trump has claimed that the missiles were bought with money furnished from Obama.

I think he was referring to the ballistic missiles launched at US bases in Iraq, not the one that shot down the plane.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

alfred russel

So it seems the Iranian response to the killing of Soleimani was to fire a bunch of missiles into the desert and a single missile into a civilian jetliner...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on January 09, 2020, 09:26:27 PM
It's likely Iran shot down the plane, but it was probably not intentional (they could gain nothing from this).

Well yeah. I don't think anybody thought they wanted to send us a message by shooting down a Ukrainian plane full of Canadians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on January 10, 2020, 11:26:55 PM
Iran fessed up.  Only smart move left for them.

I dunno - Russia still doesn't admit involvement over MH17.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2020, 12:18:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 10, 2020, 11:26:55 PM
Iran fessed up.  Only smart move left for them.

I dunno - Russia still doesn't admit involvement over MH17.

Different situation, the Ukrainian airliner went down just outside the capital, hundreds of miles from the Iraqi border/ the Gulf, the only possible active military forces were Iranian.

Whereas MH17 happened right over a zone of conflict involving two if not three warring sides, so the Russians will fall back on 'plausible denial'

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2020, 12:26:20 AM
Different situation, the Ukrainian airliner went down just outside the capital, hundreds of miles from the Iraqi border/ the Gulf, the only possible active military forces were Iranian.

Whereas MH17 happened right over a zone of conflict involving two if not three warring sides, so the Russians will fall back on 'plausible denial'

That was my first thought as well, but it's a pretty thin defense.  Nobody thinks the rebels ordered a mobile SAM battery from Amazon.

I agree that fessing up is the smart move.  It tells Canada and Ukraine that Iran cares enough to embarrass itself.

Hamilcar

Noteworthy that Iran has now admitted that they fucked up with the airliner. That makes them more mature than the Russians who still lie about MH 17.

Maladict

Plus, it may help de-escalate tension. That's the only good thing that may come out of this.

DGuller

Quote from: Hamilcar on January 11, 2020, 02:52:03 AM
Noteworthy that Iran has now admitted that they fucked up with the airliner. That makes them more mature than the Russians who still lie about MH 17.
I think it was more a result of their position being completely untenable rather than maturity.  You can deny things that are 99.9% obvious, Russia and Trump keep showing that it's a viable strategy, but there still comes a point where you're got no choice but to concede to reality.

alfred russel

Quote from: Hamilcar on January 11, 2020, 02:52:03 AM

The president of the us has never admitted he was wrong about anything.

Iran: now with a better government than the US and Russia?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014