Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 02:30:04 PM
Valmy, I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

TFA: the romantic tensions are set up to be developed in later films. You don't blow your wad in the first installment.

Rogue One: the scene was added in reshoots so that's the reason the "romance" is just insinuated, it wasn't present in the shooting script. There's no grander plan behind it.

I kind of always felt like the romantic tensions in TFA were pretty one-sided on Finn's side. And it was so awkward as to be like a 14-year-old boy with his first crush and not knowing how to act on it. Which actually worked for me, really. His background and childhood was so messed up that that fit. He felt emotions for her, didn't know how to classify them or how to act on them. It made him a little more endearing to me. Where they take it, though, is what will decide it for me.(And I admit that I'm reading a LOT into that whole situation, but Finn really reminded me of my boys when they were young.)

On Rogue One, however, it felt more forced. Like, well, there's a man and a woman in intense situations, so we have to have some kind of emotional connection/sexual tension scene so that women will enjoy the movie. How can we do this?

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on January 05, 2017, 02:38:08 PM
Rogue One: the scene was added in reshoots so that's the reason the "romance" is just insinuated, it wasn't present in the shooting script. There's no grander plan behind it.

But there are people who saw this developing throughout the movie, and the whole movie was not reshot.  i don't think you can dismiss this as a figment of three or more peoples' imaginations.

Do you think so? I didn't really see any sexual tension until the end, but I wasn't really looking for it, either.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

But there are people who saw this developing throughout the movie, and the whole movie was not reshot.  i don't think you can dismiss this as a figment of three or more peoples' imaginations.

Actually, I can. Kuleshov effect.

Plus I'm sure they may have added a moment here and there, even though I personally didn't notice anything developing. The whole movie wasn't reshot, but the beach scene wasn't the only thing they reshot either.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 02:53:29 PM
I think it's a tacked on, "Oh shit! We forgot to have them attracted to each other! Retake those beach scenes! No, MORE longing!" :D

Well that's lame. They didn't need to do that just to hold hands and hug.

Hell if we were about to die I would even hold hands and hug Legbiter, even if he would crush me to death with his alpha-male strength in the process.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 03:02:03 PM

Do you think so? I didn't really see any sexual tension until the end, but I wasn't really looking for it, either.

I felt so with some of the looks from Cassian. I assumed though that G was poking fun with the 'three or more'

Looking at google with 'romance rogue one' seems a big split on those saying no romance, hurrah feminism and those saying oh my look at that romantic couple, will they won't they, oh they didn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 03:14:55 PM
Hell if we were about to die I would even hold hands and hug Legbiter, even if he would crush me to death with his alpha-male strength in the process.

I definitely wouldn't. I wouldn't want to touch most of you. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 03:05:47 PM
even though I personally didn't notice anything developing.

Garbon saw it to!

QuoteValmy, I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Well it turned out that way :lol:

I just thought it was strange enough to try to get people's opinions on the topic of what they were going for. But it seems we cannot even agree on the premise. Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 03:14:55 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 02:53:29 PM
I think it's a tacked on, "Oh shit! We forgot to have them attracted to each other! Retake those beach scenes! No, MORE longing!" :D

Well that's lame. They didn't need to do that just to hold hands and hug.

I have written reshoots for stuff, and yeah that's the kind of very lame thing we are asked to do ("giev me more emotion!!!1111!"). There's so much you can do when you're trying to fit new pieces in an already constructed puzzle.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 03:15:16 PM
no romance, hurrah feminism

This is also an angle I was not aware of. So I will keep that in mind in the future.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 03:23:11 PM

This is also an angle I was not aware of. So I will keep that in mind in the future.

So women portrayed as having romantic emotions is now a weapon of the patriarchy?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2017, 04:10:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 03:23:11 PM

So women portrayed as having romantic emotions is now a weapon of the patriarchy?

Not necessarily. But rather that no romance is now something that is applauded for social issue type reasons. That had not occurred to me.

celedhring

No-romance should be applauded for non-lazy storytelling reasons, though. It's such an abused crutch.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 04:24:25 PM
No-romance should be applauded for non-lazy storytelling reasons, though. It's such an abused crutch.

I am sure there are many reasons to have no romance for you black hearted bastards. That is just one I had not previously considered. :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 04:24:25 PM

I can live with that as long as there are still plenty of hotties not romancing.