Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

I finally saw it!  ...and I finally read this thread!  I loved seeing the rebel pilots from A New Hope show up.  I thought it was an awesome touch.  The killing of Red 5, making the call sign open for Luke at Yavin was a nice easter egg.

So another indicator of (I hope) the rewrite and not lazy script writing was the magical appearance of the Imperial shuttle piloted by the two characters who stayed with the broken down old ship on Pops Urso's work planet.  They appear out of nowhere with a shuttle to rescue everyone, yet apparently the shuttle pilot defetor didn't have to kill anyone to get it, because KT-SO only proclaims him a "real rebel" after he guns down some Imperials from the newly acquired shuttle.  They even make a point of discussing how it's an Imperial shuttle and using it as a plot device for access to the final planet.  Also, the random additions of mentioning Captain Antilles by Bail Organa as his pilot when they head to nab Leia is interesting, but how does Bail go with Antilles to Alderaan, switch spots with Leia, allow Leia to return to Yavin to pick up R2 and 3PO who are shown there after Bail leaves, then have Leia rally with the fleet in time to end up docked inside the Rebel Flagship before the battle of Scarif?  Those are two of the things that stuck out that haven't been mentioned yet.  I'll try to think of some more.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Yeah.  Leia being in a little ship with the rebels was kind of lame.
Should have been an escaping rebel ship hooking up with hers to pass on the plans.
I see why they did it this way.  Wanted to show the end of this movie as the exact beginning of the first film. Cuts down unnecessary padding.
But still...  Makes Leia screaming about being a diplomatic ship just look dumb.
Why was she even in the battle?
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2017, 05:09:36 AM
Yeah.  Leia being in a little ship with the rebels was kind of lame.
Should have been an escaping rebel ship hooking up with hers to pass on the plans.
I see why they did it this way.  Wanted to show the end of this movie as the exact beginning of the first film. Cuts down unnecessary padding.
But still...  Makes Leia screaming about being a diplomatic ship just look dumb.
Why was she even in the battle?
Yeah.  The dialogue from A New Hope makes a lot less sense when you consider everyone saw the Tantive IV jet away from Scarif.

Stormtrooper: [to Vader] The Death Star plans are not in the main computer.
Darth Vader: [to Rebel] Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?
Rebel Officer: [gasping for breath] We intercepted no transmissions. This is a consular ship. We're on a diplomatic mission...
Darth Vader: If this is a consular ship, where is the Ambassador? [crushes the officer's neck, then throws him against the wall] Commander, tear this ship apart until you've found those plans, and bring me the passengers. I want them alive!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Why does it not make sense? That the Rebels made an attempt of lying their way out of certain death?

Eddie Teach

Not to mention, they're in a different star system when they're caught.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2017, 05:18:31 AM
Why does it not make sense? That the Rebels made an attempt of lying their way out of certain death?

Less the rebels lying,  which is sensible,  and more darth talking about intercepted plans.  He saw the plans on a disk being passed into this ship. 
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

You're right, it was more of a forced fumble than an interception.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2017, 07:16:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 20, 2017, 05:18:31 AM

Less the rebels lying,  which is sensible,  and more darth talking about intercepted plans.  He saw the plans on a disk being passed into this ship.

That's just nitpicking that's easy to counter: the plans were transmitted out of an imperial radio tower, and were intercepted, and recorded by the attacking Rebel units. There!