And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

IS AWESOME!

Berkut

I thought it was really well done. I was puzzled by some of the critical reviews mentioned in the other thread - someone said it was just vanilla same old Star Wars.

Which makes no sense. It doesn't have anything like the "Ahhh gee, isn't the universe great in the end?" feel of traditional Star Wars, where the good guys are all really good and the bad guys incompetent.

The good guys here are pretty damn grey, and suddenly stormtroopers figured out how to shoot, at least some of the time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Can't wait to run a double bill of this with ANH.

Drakken

And we get to have a glimpse why Rebels shit in their pants at the mere possibility that [spoiler]Darth Vader[/spoiler] might be around.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2016, 12:07:16 PM
Can't wait to run a double bill of this with ANH.

Yeah R1 ends about five minutes before ANH begins.

I thought it was better than Ep7, frankly.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Overall a fairly strong film.  I did roll my eyes at Vader cracking jokes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Why? Vader's a notorious cutup. Remember that scene where he starts force choking that guy until Tarkin tells him to knock it off.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 17, 2016, 03:50:28 PM
Why? Vader's a notorious cutup. Remember that scene where he starts force choking that guy until Tarkin tells him to knock it off.

And, of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPwA8hitoY

The Brain

Is this a Young Adult movie like the rest?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

How appropriate is this movie to take for younger kids (when compared to the other movies)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
How appropriate is this movie to take for younger kids (when compared to the other movies)?

It's probably the most tragically violent of the lot.  I don't think I'd recommend it for younger children.  There's one scene near the end, for instance, that is downright brutal.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 17, 2016, 05:40:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2016, 05:38:45 PM

It's probably the most tragically violent of the lot.  I don't think I'd recommend it for younger children.  There's one scene near the end, for instance, that is downright brutal.

My parents were considering taking my nieces to see it;  while I haven't seen it, I've gathered the gist of how it's the most un-Star Wars of all the Star Wars movies.  They're going to go see it first.

Habbaku

I jokingly called it Star Wars: Vietnam on Facebook.  I was only half-joking.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 17, 2016, 05:51:00 PM
I jokingly called it Star Wars: Vietnam on Facebook.  I was only half-joking.

:lol:  That's fucked up.  Now I definitely need to see it.

Delirium

I actually liked it too, several degrees more than Force Awakens.

Okay, some things were a bit silly and the plot could have been tighter...too much talking and too much shooting I felt. More time could have been spent to displaying the great new environments: that asteroid trading complex and Jedah City were really underused, but they, and the opening scenes on that moor planet and of course the beach landing super fight looked really really good. Sometimes I longed for a director with a little more patience to take advantage of his sets and let them stand on their own for a while, rather than being blown up. And it wasn't really dark or touching either, the characters never take hold of you.

But the film looked damn good, was exciting and had just enough nostalgia to satisfy us old folks, so this one I want to see again, as opposed to Force Awakens.

4/5 for appearance, 2.5/5 for content.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan