And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2016, 01:08:01 PM
I guess we'll see the bothans in Rogue Two

Nah, they'll just modify the story slightly to make it about Manny Bothans, hero of the Rebellion.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Re: the characters---The novel Catalyst is supposed to have a boatload about them in it. I might read it since it's Luceno and not Claudia Gray.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 18, 2016, 02:11:01 PM
Re: the characters---The novel Catalyst is supposed to have a boatload about them in it. I might read it since it's Luceno and not Claudia Gray.

I have it on Audible, but haven't listened to it yet beyond the first chapter. Earlier this year I set up an Audible sub that quietly ticked along, so that I had 10 free audio books. I'm using it for Star Wars audio books, because I find it easier to keep up that way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Saw the movie this afternoon, at risk of permanent damage to my hearing. Really fun. I liked the droid. Like threepio with less whining and more snark.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Alan Tudyk crashes spaceships and dies. It's kinda his thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

As usual, you can trust geeks with too much time in their hands to overscrutinize stuff, so here's an article trying to ascertain what might have changed in the final version of the film after the reshoots, using footage that was in the early trailers but didn't make the final cut.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-missing-trailer-footage/2/

Interestingly, the mechanics of how the plans get stolen and transmitted to the Rebellion seem to have changed significantly.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on December 18, 2016, 11:05:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
How appropriate is this movie to take for younger kids (when compared to the other movies)?
If they've seen Episode 3 and 5, they should be fine.  If they can handle that not all the heroes are going to walk away, they'll be fine.

My kids somehow survived watching it.  Didn't even need counseling.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2016, 11:39:33 AM
Also, I'm guessing some people in the theater were drunk as they laughed a little too hard at the laugh lines. :D

In my theater, though there were drunk people, I think most people who laughed too hard did so out of excess enthusiasm.  Half of them clapped when the movie started :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I don't remember anyone clapping at the beginning, but most of the theater clapped at the end.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Vader kicking Rebel ass in the end - I guess someone at Lucasfilm played the first level of Force Unleashed. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I love when Americans clap at the end of movies, they are so eager to display their enthusiasm  :lol:
No clapping in my aloof Euro cinema :(

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2016, 09:29:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2016, 11:39:33 AM
Also, I'm guessing some people in the theater were drunk as they laughed a little too hard at the laugh lines. :D

In my theater, though there were drunk people, I think most people who laughed too hard did so out of excess enthusiasm.  Half of them clapped when the movie started :mellow:

Yeah that happened at the beginning and end in my theater too. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on December 19, 2016, 09:47:03 AM
I love when Americans clap at the end of movies, they are so eager to display their enthusiasm  :lol:
No clapping in my aloof Euro cinema :(

There was a big group of downs kids when I watched it, much clapping at the end.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Delirium

Not that I go to the movies that frequently but enthusiastic clapping was heard during both FA and Rogue One. Not to mention the LotR movies. I didn't think they were Americans or that it was disgusting.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Legbiter

Quote from: Habbaku on December 17, 2016, 05:51:00 PM
I jokingly called it Star Wars: Vietnam on Facebook.  I was only half-joking.

Yeah that's a good descriptor. Overall a better effort than the Force Awakened. Undead Tarkin was a mistake, though, I just hope they're not going to try to do the same to Alec Guinness going forward.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.