Bradley Manning acquitted of aiding enemy but convicted on other charges

Started by jimmy olsen, July 30, 2013, 06:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2017, 11:14:42 PM
Honestly, I'd respect the decision to pardon Snowden more than I did commuting Manning's sentence.  Snowden at least did what he did out of some kind of principle, even if it was futile and old-fashioned.  Manning did what he did out of some kind of homo shit-fit.  They should have hanged him.

errr. no.  Snowden stole thousands of documents and released a few hundred, turning the rest over to Russia, not Wikileaks.  Manning was a fucked-up do-gooder, Snowden an enemy spy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2017, 04:37:36 AM
Oddly enough, being homosexual is about being a man having sex with a man and not about becoming a woman.
way too complicated for us str8 folks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

It does seem like Manning was manipulated by Assange, who took advantage of a fragile personality, while Snowden was more self-directed.  Whether or how that matters for commutation is in the eye of the beholder.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

when obama pardons manning, it's an act of good will. but when trump pardons putin, it's a conspiracy

Sad!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 18, 2017, 11:32:45 AM
It does seem like Manning was manipulated by Assange, who took advantage of a fragile personality, while Snowden was more self-directed.  Whether or how that matters for commutation is in the eye of the beholder.

Can you elaborate (or link)?  First I've heard of Manning being manipulated.  I thought Manning just went to Wikileaks and dumped stuff there, no prior contact.

The Minsky Moment

According to the prosecutors, Manning made contact with Assange in 2009, and Assange then guided her to key docs.  This was disputed by the defense but supposedly there were chat logs backing it up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson