Bradley Manning acquitted of aiding enemy but convicted on other charges

Started by jimmy olsen, July 30, 2013, 06:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I don't believe in transsexuals. They're just men who've cut their penises off. (Or women who've pasted one on). :alberta:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2013, 02:16:24 PM
.. They're just men who've cut their penises off. (Or women who've pasted one on). :alberta:

The latter have had an operation called an Addadictomy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Is there any operation you can get if you are male, but feel that you aren't male enough? I'm asking for a friend.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2013, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2013, 11:00:19 AM
At any rate, I am a troglodytes and don't understand being trans. The LGB model has gender role behavior as something societally constructed. The T model seems heavily anchored in the biological model.
:yes: I think I rate as pretty tolerant of homosexuality, and probably in the top 1% of heterosexual Russian speakers, but transsexuality just gives me creeps.

To be clear, I am not creeped out by transexuality.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2013, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2013, 02:16:24 PM
.. They're just men who've cut their penises off. (Or women who've pasted one on). :alberta:

The latter have had an operation called an Addadictomy.

:thumbsup:

But I think you should know: Rush Limbaugh likes to use that term.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/chelsea-manning-feels-like-a-1294507071078454.html

QuoteChelsea Manning "feels like a freak" with 2-inch prison haircut, sues Army

It would be hard to imagine the saga of Chelsea Manning getting any stranger — or more poignant. But it did one night in September when the former U.S. Army intelligence analyst, who is serving a 35-year prison term for leaking hundreds of thousands of classified government documents to WikiLeaks, broke down in tears after authorities at the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., told her she had to cut her hair.

It was the latest in what Manning — who was born a male named Bradley — saw as a cascade of indignities and injustices. Just weeks earlier, she had been temporarily deprived of recreational and library privileges after guards seized unauthorized reading materials (including a copy of Vanity Fair magazine with Caitlyn Jenner on the cover) as well as expired toothpaste in her prison cell.

Only now, as Manning perceived it, the U.S. military was messing with her right to be who she is — a woman — and reinforcing the idea that she is a misfit.

"I felt gross — like Frankenstein's monster wandering around the countryside avoiding angry mobs with torches and pitchforks," she wrote in a blog post from prison. Feeling "humiliated, hurt and rejected," she felt like "giving up" and said she "cried and cried and cried and sniffled a little bit, and then cried some more."

But Manning, in comments sent from prison to Yahoo News, says she has now overcome her despair and is once again ready to fight the U.S. government in court.

With the help of a premier civil liberties law firm, she is working on an appeal —likely to be filed early next year — of her 2013 conviction for violations of the Espionage Act. She will argue, among other points, that she was in fact a whistleblower who exposed U.S. government abuses and was never given the opportunity to present her motives during her court martial.

Simultaneously, Manning is pursuing a separate lawsuit challenging her treatment in prison. It is a novel case that could pose an awkward dilemma for the Obama administration, which has publicly championed the rights of transgender individuals, including those in prison, yet now stands accused of violating those rights when it comes to the most high-profile transgender inmate in U.S. custody.

In recently filed court papers, Manning, who began receiving hormone therapy at taxpayer expense earlier this year, alleges that prison officials are undermining her treatment for "gender dysphoria," the medical term used for individuals who feel trapped in the wrong sex, by forcing her to cut her hair to the same 2-inch length as male prisoners, thereby depriving her of her ability to express herself in a "feminine manner."

"Plaintiff feels like a freak and a weirdo," Manning asserts in her complaint, "not because having short hair makes a person less of a woman — but because for her, it undermines specifically recommended treatment and sends the message to everyone that she is not a 'real' woman."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Expired toothpaste ... what exactly is Uncle Sam's interest in regulating what kind of toothpaste even the highest profile inmates use? That seems a bit too small minded even for a government bureaucracy.

garbon

Well it looks like this. Also, I'm thinking less like bureaucracy and more like Chelsea is a pain to put up with as a prisoner and the guards are dinging her on it.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/12/chelsea-manning-solitary-confinement-toothpaste-army

QuoteThe fourth charge, "medicine misuse", follows an inspection of Manning's cell on 9 July during which a tube of anti-cavity toothpaste was found. The prison authorities noted that Manning was entitled to have the toothpaste in her cell, but is penalizing her because it was "past its expiration date of 9 April 2015".

DGuller

The expiration date is there for a reason.  An expired toothpaste is not a toothpaste anymore, so whatever allowances exist for toothpaste no longer apply.

Razgovory

Wow, I didn't realize how intolerant we were to Transsexuals two years ago.  Even garbon. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2015, 01:56:25 PM
The expiration date is there for a reason.  An expired toothpaste is not a toothpaste anymore, so whatever allowances exist for toothpaste no longer apply.

:hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2015, 02:04:44 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how intolerant we were to Transsexuals two years ago.  Even garbon. :(

I still don't really understand it but I'm willing to go with the treat others politely. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2015, 02:06:26 PM

I still don't really understand it but I'm willing to go with the treat others politely. :)

Failure to understand his pain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2015, 02:06:26 PM

Yeah, I'm more on the Raz side of things when it comes to transgendered people, but the over-riding thing is to treat people with respect, decency and politeness.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory