Bradley Manning acquitted of aiding enemy but convicted on other charges

Started by jimmy olsen, July 30, 2013, 06:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Phillip V

Bullshit.  For the traitorous crime and worldwide consequences, Manning should be in prison for more than just 7 years.

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on January 17, 2017, 05:17:17 PM
Bullshit.  For the traitorous crime and worldwide consequences, Manning should be in prison for more than just 7 years.
True, but also for less than 35.  I don't think the president has the power to re-sentence convicted felons, so it was commutation or bust, as far as I can tell.  The interests of justice are better-served by commutation, I think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Bad idea especially at this time to commute Manning's sentence. With all the talk of intel issues, the massive hacking of US government agencies by China, Russia and others, wikilleaks over the years and especially recently all the angst over the hacking of Podesta and the DNC, this flies in the face of being serious on these issues. I don't understand why this commutation was done. It may even give impetus for others to commit such crimes as they may feel they'll get cover in some circles either for exposing govt secrets or get some leniency for political reasons.

DGuller

Like many commutations or pardons, this is probably the right decision on a human level, but bad politics.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2017, 07:16:19 PM
Like many commutations or pardons, this is probably the right decision on a human level, but bad politics.

It doesn't look good--like g said, maybe not long enough, but certainly not 35 years' worth, either--and completely feeds into the "Lock Her Up" paranoia from Der Furor's people, but if it lands Assange, it's a bargain.

Meanwhile, as everybody freaks out over Manning, the Support Our Troops crowd hasn't said anything about--

QuoteObama Pardons James Cartwright, General Who Lied to F.B.I. in Leak Case
By CHARLIE SAVAGE
JAN. 17, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Obama on Tuesday pardoned James E. Cartwright, a retired Marine Corps general and former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I. about his discussions with reporters about Iran's nuclear program, saving him from a possible prison sentence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/obama-pardons-james-cartwright-general-who-lied-to-fbi-in-leak-case.html

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2017, 04:32:39 PM
:hmm:

Not sure what I think of this.

At least he's not pardoning Snowden.
Honestly, I'd respect the decision to pardon Snowden more than I did commuting Manning's sentence.  Snowden at least did what he did out of some kind of principle, even if it was futile and old-fashioned.  Manning did what he did out of some kind of homo shit-fit.  They should have hanged him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

I wonder if Obama did this partly to call Assange's bluff.  Now three things can happen:  Assange gets caught bluffing, Assange gets extradited and convicted, or Assange gets extradited but then cut loose by Trump.  In all cases the bad guys lose freedom or credibility.

Admiral Yi

I missed the stuff about Ass Hinge's offer.  Someone fill me in?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2017, 11:39:24 PM
I missed the stuff about Ass Hinge's offer.  Someone fill me in?
Wikileaks tweeted that Assange will allow himself to be extradited to US if Manning's sentence were commuted.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2017, 11:14:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2017, 04:32:39 PM
:hmm:

Not sure what I think of this.

At least he's not pardoning Snowden.
Honestly, I'd respect the decision to pardon Snowden more than I did commuting Manning's sentence.  Snowden at least did what he did out of some kind of principle, even if it was futile and old-fashioned.  Manning did what he did out of some kind of homo shit-fit.  They should have hanged him.

What principle was it exactly that demanded that he provide China and Russia with a list of computers the NSA had successfully penetrated?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Oddly enough, being homosexual is about being a man having sex with a man and not about becoming a woman.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.