News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
How appropriate is this movie to take for younger kids (when compared to the other movies)?
If they've seen Episode 3 and 5, they should be fine.  If they can handle that not all the heroes are going to walk away, they'll be fine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2016, 10:57:02 AMI'm fine with that. The opening crawl for saga episodes only. It's overused in Star Wars entertainment anyway.

Glad they kept the end credits theme though.

Oh, not complaining. Just feels a bit odd. :)

There were a few more shout outs to earlier drafts of the saga. The order of the Whills comes to mind, or "May the Force of Others be with you." Similar to the appearend of the force sensitive (a?) Bendu in Rebels (the Jedi were originally called the Jedi Bendu).

Heh, listening to the soundtrack on Spotify while doing some work. Just noticed the playback progress bar is a lightsaber. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

:lol:

One thing that slightly bothered me is the fact that Leia is present at the battle of Scarif. Doesn't make any sense for her being there. She's still a Senator at the time, plus it's hinted previously that his stepdad is sending her to Tatooine.

Syt

Yes, it would have been better if she was elsewhere getting a desperately relayed transmission and then making a run.

Of course it looked cooler this way. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I hadn't planned to see this anytime soon but I did and I liked it. :)

Could have done though without the silly climb in data center with requisite opening and closing door death trap.

Also, I'm guessing some people in the theater were drunk as they laughed a little too hard at the laugh lines. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2016, 11:39:33 AMCould have done though without the silly climb in data center with requisite opening and closing door death trap.

The Empire hates OSHA. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2016, 11:39:33 AM
Could have done though without the silly climb in data center with requisite opening and closing door death trap.

Yeah, servicing that dish must be a bitch  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2016, 11:45:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2016, 11:39:33 AM

Yeah, servicing that dish must be a bitch  :lol:

I'm also curious how they got so quickly from the top of that structure to the scenic beach to await fiery death.

Also, Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan were also lucky to leave Jedha in time before the nuking.

The Star Destroyer above Jedha was neat. Reminded me of Star Wars Galaxies, where you often had ISDs in the sky (though higher up) to denote Imperial occupation.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Not important but I also wondered about all the locations. Why introduce Wobani if sole scene was Jyn being "rescued" by the rebels.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2016, 12:26:21 PM
Not important but I also wondered about all the locations. Why introduce Wobani if sole scene was Jyn being "rescued" by the rebels.

That answer is probably coming in a tie in novel. :P

I think a big reason why I enjoyed the movie was that the usual main characters were almost completely absent. In the old Expanded Universe my favorite stories were usually those that didn't focus on the Skywalkers and Solos (which quickly became a soap opera) but rather did something with side characters or created completely new ones.

I always looked at the Star Wars universe as a means of escapism, a big adventure playground, and instead of following the main narrative I was always curious about what lay beyond what was seen on screen.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Drakken

According to IMDB, that was indeed an hommage to Obi-Wan.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on December 18, 2016, 12:47:06 PM

According to IMDB, that was indeed an hommage to Obi-Wan.

I guess. Seems lame. Wookiepedia notes it was mentioned in Battlefront.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2016, 12:46:24 PM
I think a big reason why I enjoyed the movie was that the usual main characters were almost completely absent. In the old Expanded Universe my favorite stories were usually those that didn't focus on the Skywalkers and Solos (which quickly became a soap opera) but rather did something with side characters or created completely new ones.

I always looked at the Star Wars universe as a means of escapism, a big adventure playground, and instead of following the main narrative I was always curious about what lay beyond what was seen on screen.

Of course, what clearly laid beyond was a bunch of dead side characters. :P

Syt

:P

The biggest weirdness that such movies that are inserted into an existing series create is that nobody ever mentiones their heroic sacrifice ever again. I suppose Rogue Squadron might be named after them, but that's about it.

It's kind of how nobody in Star Trek ever mentions Jonathan Archer and the original Enterprise (or maybe the Federation prefers not to talk about him :P ).
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2016, 01:03:50 PM
The biggest weirdness that such movies that are inserted into an existing series create is that nobody ever mentiones their heroic sacrifice ever again. I suppose Rogue Squadron might be named after them, but that's about it.

They do. :contract:

I guess we'll see the bothans in Rogue Two  :P