Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I think we are saying essentially the same. Most of the technology in Star Wars doesn't make any sense if you pry on it, but those liberties are there because they help make the films more fun. I.e. AT-ATs are the most idiotic ground vehicle ever, but god damn ESB would be a lesser film if the Empire employed some boring tank. And don't get me started if space battles had no noise in them.

The Brain

Midi-chlorians explain everything Star Wars to me in a scientifically satisfactory manner. I'm happy that George Lucas put them in there. As a scientist science in space opera is critically important to me. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2017, 12:46:43 PM
Midi-chlorians explain everything Star Wars to me in a scientifically satisfactory manner. I'm happy that George Lucas put them in there. As a scientist science in space opera is critically important to me. :)

What's a scientist science and how does one become that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2017, 06:23:07 PM
how does one become that?
by skipping a comma?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Comas aren't very fun. I don't blame him for skipping it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Josquius

I take midi-chlorians as non literal canon.
That yes.  People in universe think that this is how the force works.
But that says more about the republic than anything -  they believed that they stood supreme over the galaxy and had a full understanding of the laws of science. As that's what the force had to be.  Science.  Their world view just couldn't accept that there existed magic outside or their control or understanding.
Everyone locking into this anti faith view is what ultimately doomed the jedi.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 13, 2017, 02:15:35 AM
Comas aren't very fun. I don't blame him for skipping it.

Have you ever been in one?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

grumbler

I find the attempt to provide 'scientific" explanations for the powers and events in Star Wars highly puzzling.  The series doesn't attempt to be scientific - it is a fantasy set in the world of starships, and was never intended to be taken as hard science fiction.  Things work the way they do because that's what the plot required, and because magic is cheaper to shoot than than science.  It's science works just fine within its own universe, and cannot be removed from that universe into ours without falling apart.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2017, 07:42:53 AM
I find the attempt to provide 'scientific" explanations for the powers and events in Star Wars highly puzzling.  The series doesn't attempt to be scientific - it is a fantasy set in the world of starships, and was never intended to be taken as hard science fiction.  Things work the way they do because that's what the plot required, and because magic is cheaper to shoot than than science.  It's science works just fine within its own universe, and cannot be removed from that universe into ours without falling apart.

Pistols at dawn, sir! :angry:

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on January 13, 2017, 08:31:30 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2017, 07:42:53 AM

Pistols at dawn, sir! :angry:

Midday might be better. That's a less antisocial hour.

Crazy_Ivan80

there's no way to be entirely sure but it seems there's a cockpit of a YT-2000 in one of the shots the first time you see Yavin. Upper left iirc.