Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 11:41:47 AM
We are not so different you and I.

Or maybe not.

Or maybe we are.

I keep getting told 'it is completely sexist to think women and men feel differently about sex' or 'it is completely sexist to think women and men feel the same about sex' so I am afraid I have no opinion on this subject.

That was mostly a joke. :P

I think it's impossible to say that all men or all women are anything. I will say that my friends and I have had lots of conversations about women in action movies and how we think we'd react in certain scenarios. Most of us are pretty much of the mind that sex wouldn't be the first thing we think of during those moments. (One friend is the exception, but then all she thinks about is sex, so it's a given with her. :D )

However last I checked there are some women who do like a good romance without demanding scientific realism in all their films. So I DO NOT STAND ALONE.

I enjoy a good romance as much as the next person. That doesn't mean that I feel a need for it in every movie I watch. And that doesn't mean that I feel like it's a given that there should be one.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 11:51:21 AM

That was mostly a joke. :P

I think it's impossible to say that all men or all women are anything. I will say that my friends and I have had lots of conversations about women in action movies and how we think we'd react in certain scenarios. Most of us are pretty much of the mind that sex wouldn't be the first thing we think of during those moments. (One friend is the exception, but then all she thinks about is sex, so it's a given with her. :D )

Yes I was mostly joking as well :)

She sounds delightful :P

I have no idea how I would respond in such a high stress situation personally. Or in a high stress situation surrounded by people as good looking as those typically in action movies.

I enjoy a good romance as much as the next person. That doesn't mean that I feel a need for it in every movie I watch. And that doesn't mean that I feel like it's a given that there should be one.

I don't either (well mostly). And I get that.

Though I found both Bilbo's and Frodo's weird sexless lives bizarre (as written, the films suggest Frodo might really be into somebody). But I figured it was some kind of British thing.

However in the two particular films in question I felt set up to root for a certain couple and then they intentionally didn't follow through. I found that weird. But maybe it was just me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2017, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 11:15:37 AM
I don't recall the big 'let's fuck' scene between Han and Leia either.

It's ain Star Wars A XXX Parody. Includes Luke, too. There's a non-sex edit out there; it's half decent parody.

Well of course it is. Wait. Who provides the sex scenes on the Imperial side? I might have to check this out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 11:58:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2017, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 11:15:37 AM
I don't recall the big 'let's fuck' scene between Han and Leia either.

It's ain Star Wars A XXX Parody. Includes Luke, too. There's a non-sex edit out there; it's half decent parody.

Well of course it is. Wait. Who provides the sex scenes on the Imperial side? I might have to check this out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2059288/

Tom Byron as Obi-Wan was rather hilarious.

Luke Skywalker: How did my father die?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: A young Jedi named Darth Vader who was a pupil of mine until I cut his arms and legs off and left him burning in a river of lava ...
Luke Skywalker: I-I think I want to go home now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2017, 12:02:58 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi: A young Jedi named Darth Vader who was a pupil of mine until I cut his arms and legs off and left him burning in a river of lava ...

:lol:

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 12:05:21 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2017, 12:02:58 PM

:lol:

He actually does a good impression of the voice, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKPjPLPLh4 (SFW)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on January 05, 2017, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 05, 2017, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on January 05, 2017, 11:14:48 AM

Cool thing that didn't happen in the movie then right?

I'm sorry. Are generalities too difficult for you?

I'm grateful that didn't happen in this movie. It would have been utterly ridiculous, and thankfully, someone realized that.

To summarize:

I think you have a different interpretation of that scene on the beach than most people.

I didn't see googly eyes. I saw holy shit we're going to die, fellow human I just shared some intense shit with for a few weeks. Wanna hold hands because we're both kinda shit scared? Ok cool.

That's nice but I agree with Meri. Movie kept giving them significant looks. I'm fine though as they died so we were spared any actual romancing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:09:29 PM
Movie kept giving them significant looks.

You think so? Ok. But why do you think the movie did that?

Yes I am determined to actually have the conversation I wanted to have with somebody :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 02:14:59 PM

Yes I am determined to actually have the conversation I wanted to have with somebody :lol:

Yes and because a romance subplot even when not actually acted on is pretty common thing to do in films/tv. Like say Benson and Stabler in SVU.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:17:44 PM

Yes and because a romance subplot even when not actually acted on is pretty common thing to do in films/tv. Like say Benson and Stabler in SVU.

TV, yes because they will they/won't they dynamic can drive ratings. There is no similar motivation to do that in film. And even if they wanted to drive that dynamic here the characters are dead :P

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 02:21:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:17:44 PM

TV, yes because they will they/won't they dynamic can drive ratings. There is no similar motivation to do that in film. And even if they wanted to drive that dynamic here the characters are dead :P

I mean if your stance is that it doesn't happen in film then I'm not sure what you want to discuss. :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2017, 02:22:31 PM

I mean if your stance is that it doesn't happen in film then I'm not sure what you want to discuss. :hmm:

This is the second consecutive Star Wars film where they have the fake out romance thing. I was curious as to why they were doing this. If it was intentional and meant to communicate something in some way. In both cases they seem to work to get you to expect a romance between two characters and intentionally do not do it. I do not think that is common, even in the TV dynamic they eventually get the characters together in the series finale or something.

That was what I was wanting to discuss. Or at least hear some thoughts on it because I am just kind of confused.

celedhring

Valmy, I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

TFA: the romantic tensions are set up to be developed in later films. You don't blow your wad in the first installment.

Rogue One: the scene was added in reshoots so that's the reason the "romance" is just insinuated, it wasn't present in the shooting script. There's no grander plan behind it.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on January 05, 2017, 02:30:04 PM
Rogue One: the scene was added in reshoots so that's the reason the "romance" is just insinuated, it wasn't present in the shooting script. There's no grander plan behind it.

But there are people who saw this developing throughout the movie, and the whole movie was not reshot.  i don't think you can dismiss this as a figment of three or more peoples' imaginations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

I think it's a tacked on, "Oh shit! We forgot to have them attracted to each other! Retake those beach scenes! No, MORE longing!" :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...