Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2017, 01:01:23 PM
I think that's the one where there's a longish montage of how she does nothing for months but write emails she'll never send because he left her.

:bleeding:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 01:02:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2017, 01:01:23 PM
I think that's the one where there's a longish montage of how she does nothing for months but write emails she'll never send because he left her.

:bleeding:

2nd image in the below is that film:

edit: switched image as it didn't have the good Janeway bit. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Lame. What good is it saving the quadrant if you don't get laid? Coffee seems like a poor substitute. Though I do like a good cup of coffee.

Anyway, back to Twilight: LOL that sounds terrible. Well to each their own I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 01:20:00 PM
Anyway, back to Twilight: LOL that sounds terrible. Well to each their own I guess.

I guess there could be some sort of appeal to teen girls with little agency in their lives to get wish fulfillment out of a girl that has little agency in her life but ultimately gets what she wants? Well actually I don't know if she ultimately gets what she wants as I never made it part movie 2. I heard that in the books she eventually is pregnant with a vampire baby that is killing her. So there's that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I remember seeing the trailers for one of the latter movies and she had vampire superpowers and seemed to fight some other eurotrash vampires. So she might become a slightly less disgraceful role model later on.

Barrister

I saw all of the movies with Mrs B at one point.  They weren't very good, of course.

If I recall correctly the Kristen Stewart character is revealed to naturally be immune to vampiric mind control, so she does have some "powers" of her own.  And of course later she does become a vampire herself.  So she's not purely just a plaything the more powerful men in her life.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2017, 01:41:02 PM
So she's not purely just a plaything the more powerful men in her life.

She mopes for months then tosses herself off a cliff because her partner left her.

That is just being a loser, not being a plaything.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 01:42:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2017, 01:41:02 PM
So she's not purely just a plaything the more powerful men in her life.

She mopes for months then tosses herself off a cliff because her partner left her.

That is just being a loser, not being a plaything.

Sounds more like a tosser to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 12:04:25 PM
I am not sure what the point is here Meri.

There should be more movies with female protagonists in general, or there should be more movies without love interests, or there should be more movies with female protagonists without love interests?

The last two Star Wars both had female lead roles. This is a good thing...right? Not good enough though? What?

I just didn't like that Jyn and Cassian made googly-eyes. :(

And Valmy wanted them to have a romance. :mad:

I was explaining why I disagreed with Valmy. Is that not okay? Have I broken some other rule here that I wasn't aware of? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on January 04, 2017, 02:14:17 PM

Wow, and you guys think I'm a prude :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 12:19:01 PM

Now let me clarify something here.

I do not need movies to have romance plots nor was I demanding these two films have them. I was specifically addressing the fact that they seemed to be set up and then intentionally not followed through on and I was curious as to why.

Yeah. They were in this weird, limbo thing. That end stuff seemed like it was just tacked on to give an impression of a relationship, but nothing really there.

Valmy

There should be more movies with female protagonists in general, or there should be more movies without love interests, or there should be more movies with female protagonists without love interests?

The last two Star Wars both had female lead roles. This is a good thing...right? Not good enough though? What?

I was explaining why I disagreed with Valmy. Is that not okay? Have I broken some other rule here that I wasn't aware of? :unsure:

While I do like a good romance I was not necessarily saying that. Though did want Jyn to get her man in the end. Is that so wrong? But go ahead and disagree with me there because it is none-the-less unrelated :P

I was trying to figure out the message the films were communicating by setting up romances and then not having them.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on January 04, 2017, 12:34:08 PM
I guess it would have been a little weird to suddenly introduce female fighters there, in a prequel, when that concept was more or less absent from the other movies.

Fair point. It would have seemed odd.

Berkut

That is what I don't get - whether they have a romance or don't have a romance, I don't see how it is a issue of sexism in general, or how it relates to much of anything other than some choices made by the writers of the movie.

If they were romantically involved, or not, or made google eyes or didn't, I don't see any of it as having anything to do with some meta issue about sexism.

You appear to, I think, so I am just trying to understand the logical link between their relationship and your larger concerns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned