Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I think she is talking about a double standard when female leads have to romances but male leads don't.

Fair enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 02:21:47 PM
That is what I don't get - whether they have a romance or don't have a romance, I don't see how it is a issue of sexism in general, or how it relates to much of anything other than some choices made by the writers of the movie.

If they were romantically involved, or not, or made google eyes or didn't, I don't see any of it as having anything to do with some meta issue about sexism.

You appear to, I think, so I am just trying to understand the logical link between their relationship and your larger concerns.

I'd like to watch an action movie with a woman in the lead that doesn't get hooked up with someone in it. I don't get to see those very often. I liked that this one started out that way, and was disappointed when it didn't end up that way.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

Luke clearly had Leia as his romantic interest in both ANH and ESB.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on January 04, 2017, 02:33:18 PM
Luke clearly had Leia as his romantic interest in both ANH and ESB.  :hmm:

Yeah, as I said before, there's no escaping a romantic hookup if you're the lead in a Hollywood movie. I thought that list of best romance-less flicks mery posted looked actually quite good for women, given that much much less movies are made with women in the lead.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on January 04, 2017, 02:33:11 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 02:21:47 PM
That is what I don't get - whether they have a romance or don't have a romance, I don't see how it is a issue of sexism in general, or how it relates to much of anything other than some choices made by the writers of the movie.

If they were romantically involved, or not, or made google eyes or didn't, I don't see any of it as having anything to do with some meta issue about sexism.

You appear to, I think, so I am just trying to understand the logical link between their relationship and your larger concerns.

I'd like to watch an action movie with a woman in the lead that doesn't get hooked up with someone in it. I don't get to see those very often. I liked that this one started out that way, and was disappointed when it didn't end up that way.

OK.

I guess I don't see it as an issue. Very few movies don't have some kind of romantic bit, whether the lead is male of female.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

So see neither of us got what we wanted :P

But why do you think they did it that way? And in two films in the same series?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

I am with Valmy. I thought the romantic part of both movies was rather weird. For TFA, I just kind of assumed that there was more to the story to come, whether that be Rey and Finn together, or other interests for both of them, or some tragic mess or whatever.

For movies that are telling the story of people lives, rather than just some slice of it, the lack of a romantic interest of some kind would simply be bizarre. Are they eunuchs are something?

Rey, presumably, has grown up on the shithole planet without any other reasonable human interaction post adolescence, It would be downright weird for her not to be interested in someone in some fashion.

Finn, I don't know - what do Storm Troopers do for romance, if anything? Hell, they might actually be eunuchs....

0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 02:37:41 PM

There was zero kissing or actual romantic bits in A New Hope either, just hints at a Leia-Luke-Han triangle. They saved the actual fleshing out of the arc for the later films. That's what will happen with the new trilogy, imho.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2017, 02:43:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 02:37:41 PM

There was zero kissing or actual romantic bits in A New Hope either, just hints at a Leia-Luke-Han triangle. They saved the actual fleshing out of the arc for the later films. That's what will happen with the new trilogy, imho.

Do you think Finn and Rey will end up brother and sister as well?

0 rows returned

Valmy

I disagree. At the end Han winks at Leia and she acknowledges him. You figure something is going to happen.

Rey, to me anyway, indicates she sees Finn as her friend and nothing more. I will be shocked, and depending on how they do it possibly annoyed, if that changes.

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 02:44:14 PM

Luke will be all like 'Rey and Finn I am your father'

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 02:49:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 02:44:14 PM

Luke will be all like 'Rey and Finn I am your father'

The one black woman in the sw universe and Luke sleeps with her? What are the odds lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2017, 02:55:02 PM
The one black woman in the sw universe and Luke sleeps with her? What are the odds lol

It was that lady on the Rebel Council.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 02:37:05 PM

OK.

I guess I don't see it as an issue. Very few movies don't have some kind of romantic bit, whether the lead is male of female.

I'm sure you don't. :) Because most movies have male protagonists, and most movies without a romance have male protagonists. You have a wide selection to choose from when that's the kind of movie you'd like to see. I do not.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

:huh:  Leia kisses Luke "for luck" before they swing across the chasm together.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.