Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

re: Rey and Finn - remember that Jedi are not supposed to have romantic relationships.  It's what led Anakin to the Dark Side after all.  I imagine there will be some level of romantic tension in Ep 8 or 9 revolving around that point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 10:59:56 PM
Show me an action movie where the main protagonist is a woman who isn't saved by a man and there isn't a love interest. I'll wait for your list of "hundreds".

Huh? Yes lots of movies have male and female leads where they are not each other's love interests. Most of the Star Wars films for example.

QuoteThe "Mako Mori test", formulated by a Tumblr user and named after the only significant female character of Pacific Rim, asks whether a female character has a narrative arc that is not about supporting a man's story.

So if Jyn and Cassian smooch as they are being killed suddenly Jyn's arc is about supporting a man? WTF?

Anyway that was not really where I was going with my thoughts.

I was just curious as to why this choice was being made. They seem to have set it up so not only is there not going to be any romance but that you notice there is not going to be any because you are expecting it. So some kind of message is being communicated. Maybe it is a feminist thing. Not sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2017, 10:36:03 AM
re: Rey and Finn - remember that Jedi are not supposed to have romantic relationships.  It's what led Anakin to the Dark Side after all.  I imagine there will be some level of romantic tension in Ep 8 or 9 revolving around that point.

I think they pretty much established Rey has no interest in Finn. It would be weird at this point to go back on that. IMO anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 10:38:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2017, 10:36:03 AM

I think they pretty much established Rey has no interest in Finn. It would be weird at this point to go back on that. IMO anyway.

Unrequited romance is the basis of many love stories. I think it will get played in the future Eps, and it doesn't have to end with Rey and Finn living happily ever after.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2017, 10:45:45 AM
Unrequited romance is the basis of many love stories. I think it will get played in the future Eps, and it doesn't have to end with Rey and Finn living happily ever after.

Ah. Maybe so. I never liked that arc though.

But I guess people always like the Eponine character.

Anyway none of the couples in Star Wars have ever lived happily ever after. Even if they come close they usually get murdered by Storm Troopers eventually.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 10:37:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 10:59:56 PM
Show me an action movie where the main protagonist is a woman who isn't saved by a man and there isn't a love interest. I'll wait for your list of "hundreds".

Huh? Yes lots of movies have male and female leads where they are not each other's love interests. Most of the Star Wars films for example.

QuoteThe "Mako Mori test", formulated by a Tumblr user and named after the only significant female character of Pacific Rim, asks whether a female character has a narrative arc that is not about supporting a man's story.

So if Jyn and Cassian smooch as they are being killed suddenly Jyn's arc is about supporting a man? WTF?

Anyway that was not really where I was going with my thoughts.

I was just curious as to why this choice was being made. They seem to have set it up so not only is there not going to be any romance but that you notice there is not going to be any because you are expecting it. So some kind of message is being communicated. Maybe it is a feminist thing. Not sure.

Man you are a relic. Sex isn't sexist? It's in the fucking word.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2017, 04:23:16 AM
I don't get why "no romance plot!" is such a litmus test. Most protagonists in commercial Western flicks will get a romance plot no matter their gender. It's tired but that's how Hollywood rolls, for females AND males. The issue is whether being the object of the romance plot is the character's sole reason for existence, which is never going to be the case if the female in question is the protagonist.

So, the question you can point at Rogue One is not why Jyn and Cassian look lovingly at each other when they die, but why there's not a single female besides Jyn in the Rogue One team.

That came up during the movie... I assure you.  <_<

"Oh, but there were female pilots during the fight!"  :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2017, 05:21:25 AM
That sounds like a pretty bad movie. Anyhow, I would really have to watch it in order to comment on it, and I certainly won't.

Anyway, the main point I want to make is that there's no escaping a romance plot if you're the protagonist of a Hollywood movie, regardless of whether you have a dick or not. There are outliers, and you'll find many more male-led outliers than female-led outliers, just because there's so many more male protagonists around. That's the issue.

That's true, but it's such a ridiculously weighted situation.

Here are the top 50 movies without a romance in them, according to Playboy magazine:

http://www.playboy.com/.../50-best-movies-without.../slide-1

Of those 50, I counted 12 with female protagonists, three of whom were children and one was a fish.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

I am not sure what the point is here Meri.

There should be more movies with female protagonists in general, or there should be more movies without love interests, or there should be more movies with female protagonists without love interests?

The last two Star Wars both had female lead roles. This is a good thing...right? Not good enough though? What?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Meri's point is it's icky when boys and girls kiss.

derspiess

Rogue One team should have been at least 50% female. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

I can't click meri's link right now, but how many of those top 50 movies, of which only 12 have female protags, were made in the last decade or so?

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2017, 08:25:25 PM
I am ok with the idea of a second death star.  It is the logical thing to do.  If I can build a death star, which is a weapon that I believe will bring me ultimate victory, but it was destroyed due to a design flaw, then it is natural to build another one with the flaw corrected.
they likely started building it before the 1st one was fully operational.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

In A New Hope Leia has to save the two bumbling male characters asses when they practically botch their rescue attempt of the "damsel in distress." She basically rescues herself, along with help from the two comic relief characters, the droids. Luke and Han are bumbling bystanders during the Death Star rescue.

A New Hope was a classic, unlikely to be repeated, despite the silly attempt made by Hollywood darling JJ Abrams.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.