Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 10:59:56 PM

Show me an action movie where the main protagonist is a woman who isn't saved by a man and there isn't a love interest. I'll wait for your list of "hundreds".

Actually I can think of quite a few movies that fulfill these conditions.

But they are anime.  Girls und Panzer der Film for example. 

merithyn

Finally saw the movie tonight. It was what I expected. I'd have been disappointed if they hadn't all died. I was a bit disappointed that Jin and Cassian got all googly-eyed at each other at the end. They were war buddies. There wasn't time for any love shit. Respect? Absolutely. Googly-eyes? Puh-leez.

Max pointed out that it was way contrived that each member of the team died mere moments after they completed the one job they had to do. The exception was the big guy with the blind monk, and Cassian and Jin. Still not sure what the big guy was supposed to be doing other than being mad. He killed more in the scenes before his death scene, but it was very reminiscent of the old WWII movies of John Wayne's era. So I'll give that a pass, I guess. But the pilot plugged in his thing - died. The monk pulled the switch - died. Droid gave them the right file - died. Jin and Cassian made it to the beach for the googly-eye thing after they did their thing, though.

I'm with everyone else on the Saw Gerrera bit. I assumed that was just to show that someone else needed a suit to live, and it wasn't just a Darth Vader thing. Plus, it was the only place we really got to see some neat aliens.

Glad the dad died. Glad they were stuck on the planet at the end. Loved the CGI characters. Glad I went to see it, but not sure I'll see it again in the theater. I'm not a big fan of war movies in general, and this really reminded me of the movies my dad used to watch when I was a kid.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2017, 11:09:01 PM

Show me an action movie where the main protagonist is a woman who isn't saved by a man and there isn't a love interest. I'll wait for your list of "hundreds".

:mellow:

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 11:13:41 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 03, 2017, 11:09:01 PM

:mellow:

What?  It is an action movie, 95% of the cast are females, they do 100% of the action, and there is no romance in the film.  It is all about...school girls battling each other in WWII tanks.  In a sports setting, of course. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 07:46:33 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2017, 07:04:09 PM
I like it.
Always annoys me how in films the lead man and lead woman always have to have something going on between them.

There are hundreds of movies where this is not the case. Including every Star Wars film except two of the prequels :P

But it was weird in this case. They set it up like Finn had the hots for Rey and then clearly there was tension between Cassian and Jyn and in both cases they seemed to have intentionally had it go nowhere. I just do not understand what they are going for there.

Aliens.  :P

(well sure, Ripley was "saved" a couple times...but that happened back-and-forth throughout, and she had the first, and last, big saves)

And I won't even try the "hundreds"....definitely not action films anyway.  ;)

merithyn

Yeah, Alien is the gold standard for women. But when you really can only pull that one up, I think it's kind of making my point. ;)

Best part of that movie, by the way? A woman kicks ass, and a man gives birth.  :lol:

MadImmortalMan

I think the question was intended as rhetorical guys.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Not really. I'm always looking for new movies to watch. :)

But in truth, it's nice to watch an action movie where a woman is treated like a person and not a Love Interest. Especially when she's the main protagonist. There just aren't a lot out there, and it's refreshing when it happens.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2017, 11:30:18 PM
I think the question was intended as rhetorical guys.  :P

I know.  :P

And for the record, I didn't see the "googly eyes" between Jin and Cassian that everyone else seems to have seen.  I just saw the comradely/respectful, "whell, we're gonna die now...was really cool working with you" look.

MadImmortalMan

It's nice to watch a sitcom where the dad isn't a buffoon too but good luck with that.

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 11:31:49 PM
Not really. I'm always looking for new movies to watch. :)

But in truth, it's nice to watch an action movie where a woman is treated like a person and not a Love Interest. Especially when she's the main protagonist. There just aren't a lot out there, and it's refreshing when it happens.

Example where the woman is lead is indeed quite hard.  However, examples of action films where both the male lead, and their love interest, are equally shallow characters can also be pretty easy to find.  Then it is just a comparison of screen time.  :P

MadImmortalMan

Woman being the prize to be earned is a pretty well-worn territory. It's dumb and lazy writing.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2017, 11:33:52 PM
It's nice to watch a sitcom where the dad isn't a buffoon too but good luck with that.

The Cosby Show
Eight is Enough
Different Strokes
Family Ties
Full House
The Nanny
That 70s Show
Sister Sister
Malcolm in the Middle
8 Simple Rules
George Lopez
According to Jim

That's about the time I stopped watching TV. But there are quite a few to play around with there. :)

The Brain

Make up your fucking minds if you're talking about Aliens or Alien. I love Aliens from a woman-perspective: you have Ripley and Vasquez and the Queen (and Gingrich), and the men are competent if unspectacular (Hicks), big-mouths (Hudson) or automatons (Bishop). BUT you have feels between Ripley and Hicks so DISQUALIFIED.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

I don't get why "no romance plot!" is such a litmus test. Most protagonists in commercial Western flicks will get a romance plot no matter their gender. It's tired but that's how Hollywood rolls, for females AND males. The issue is whether being the object of the romance plot is the character's sole reason for existence, which is never going to be the case if the female in question is the protagonist.

So, the question you can point at Rogue One is not why Jyn and Cassian look lovingly at each other when they die, but why there's not a single female besides Jyn in the Rogue One team.