News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 12:30:45 PM
The problem is that all things Trump gets great ratings for all the news networks.  If they refused to cover Trump no one would watch.

I don't believe this for a second.  The news networks existed before Trump came along, and will be around when he is gone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2018, 02:37:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 12:30:45 PM
The problem is that all things Trump gets great ratings for all the news networks.  If they refused to cover Trump no one would watch.

I don't believe this for a second.  The news networks existed before Trump came along, and will be around when he is gone.

If you don't believe me, believe CNN President Jeff Zucker:

Quote"People say all the time, 'Oh, I don't want to talk about Trump, I've had too much Trump,' " Zucker told Vanity Fair. "And yet at the end of the day, all they want to do is talk about Trump."

"We've seen that anytime you break away from the Trump story and cover other events in this era, the audience goes away," he added. "So we know that, right now, Donald Trump dominates."

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/414390-cnn-boss-if-we-break-from-trump-coverage-the-audience-goes-away
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2018, 01:59:08 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2018, 12:04:22 PM
No, there is still. Violence or the threat of it cannot be part of politics. Rome tried that. the Weimar Republic also tried it, among others.
but the left still love it :)

Oh come on are you really going to claim the far right is not into it?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2018, 02:47:07 PM
No, there is still. Violence or the threat of it cannot be part of politics. Rome tried that. the Weimar Republic also tried it, among others.

That is what viper does all the time. The left is violent, the right is peaceful & righteous
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 02:44:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2018, 02:37:02 PM

If you don't believe me, believe CNN President Jeff Zucker:

Quote"People say all the time, 'Oh, I don't want to talk about Trump, I've had too much Trump,' " Zucker told Vanity Fair. "And yet at the end of the day, all they want to do is talk about Trump."

"We've seen that anytime you break away from the Trump story and cover other events in this era, the audience goes away," he added. "So we know that, right now, Donald Trump dominates."

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/414390-cnn-boss-if-we-break-from-trump-coverage-the-audience-goes-away

Nope. I don't have to believe him, either.  CNN is a financial and management disaster, and it's pretty clear why: Zucker doesn't know how to run a news network.  His network has covered Trump like a rug, and nobody watches it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 08, 2018, 02:47:07 PM

That is what viper does all the time. The left is violent, the right is peaceful & righteous

Well the US far-right does seem to prefer guns and bombs to just beating people up, to be fair.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2018, 10:55:04 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2018, 10:25:00 AM
So Antifa protesters found out where Tucker Carlson lives and the mob descended on his house ringing his door bell and chanting outside. What a weird time we live in.

WTF? I hope the police were called.

I mean I get that some people suck but going to somebody's home is over the line. People need to be secure in their own homes.

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 10:31:26 AM
Well, he sure does sound like Fascist on tv.

Oh he is a piece of garbage but still...

There is no still, why does he get to be safe in his own home when his speech is making other people not safe?

The Thirteen Colonies tried it and we ended up with the United States.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 08, 2018, 04:24:57 PM

WTF? I mean it was not unheard by any means, and there were some very famous and unfortunate incidents, but even the Revolutionaries frowned upon violent intimidation. Or at least the leadership so acting like the colonies 'tried it' as a strategy is a bit misleading.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2018, 04:30:24 PM

WTF? I mean it was not unheard by any means, and there were some very famous and unfortunate incidents, but even the Revolutionaries frowned upon violent intimidation. Or at least the leadership so acting like the colonies 'tried it' as a strategy is a bit misleading.
Massachusetts in particular was rife with mob justice before the Revolution broke out, including attacking people in their homes.  The Pennsylvania frontier was like the movie version of the lawless Wild West.  It wasn't all high minded boycotts and peaceful gatherings.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 08, 2018, 04:51:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2018, 04:30:24 PM

Massachusetts in particular was rife with mob justice before the Revolution broke out, including attacking people in their homes.  The Pennsylvania frontier was like the movie version of the lawless Wild West.  It wasn't all high minded boycotts and peaceful gatherings.

My city got a big influx because of that. So thanks for being thugs!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

You're thinking about it wrong. If Toronto hadn't had that influx, your ancestors might have settled somewhere nice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 08, 2018, 05:31:29 PM
You're thinking about it wrong. If Toronto hadn't had that influx, your ancestors might have settled somewhere nice.

Like Detroit.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Don't let the crime rate fool you, Detroit is still frigid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Who is gunning down Jews and sending pipe bombs to journalists in this country? (Let alone throwning children into desert concentration camps) It's not the left.

Some chanting outside someone's home, while distasteful, doesn't not compare to murder.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

I've watched Carlson's show a couple times. He came across as a performance artist and a bit of a bully with some of his guests (no doubt part of the act), but I didn't see what's so loathsome about him compared to many other tv personalities - though I admit I'm not really familiar with his oeuvre.