News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2018, 04:30:24 PM

WTF? I mean it was not unheard by any means, and there were some very famous and unfortunate incidents, but even the Revolutionaries frowned upon violent intimidation. Or at least the leadership so acting like the colonies 'tried it' as a strategy is a bit misleading.

Er. No. Violent intimidation was part of the whole process. You think loyalists moved to Canada for the weather?
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Yes the American Revolution was quite violent, it was basically the first American civil war.  I don't see that as a model for where I want America to go right now. I would like be rid of the Trump Presidency but not at the price of a brutal armed civil conflict resulting in mass deporations
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2018, 03:37:57 AM
Yes the American Revolution was quite violent, it was basically the first American civil war.  I don't see that as a model for where I want America to go right now. I would like be rid of the Trump Presidency but not at the price of a brutal armed civil conflict resulting in mass deporations

You mean deplorations?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

So now, people who think grab them by the pussy was nothing to worry about, and that the whole Kavanaugh story could only be a lie, are arguing that Acosta clearly assaulted and overpowered a young woman.

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 09, 2018, 07:15:53 AM
So now, people who think grab them by the pussy was nothing to worry about, and that the whole Kavanaugh story could only be a lie, are arguing that Acosta clearly assaulted and overpowered a young woman.

And are you surprised?

Oexmelin

No. I am just constantly surprised by the calls for bipartisanship in this sort of environment. And also by the incredible meekness of the press - the fact that they seem incapable to adapt to this sort of freak show.

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 09, 2018, 07:21:15 AM
the fact that they seem incapable to adapt to this sort of freak show.

yes that is worrying.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 09, 2018, 07:15:53 AM

Every time I think the shit show south of the border can't get any worse ... it does.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 08, 2018, 07:34:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2018, 06:54:26 PM
Plus he has a very punchable face.

Is that why GF thinks he incites violence?  :hmm:

I've never seen him. Fox News commentators are fascist collaborators.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Some are complete hacks, but some try to be good journalists. You can't really judge that without listening to them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 09, 2018, 07:21:15 AM
No. I am just constantly surprised by the calls for bipartisanship in this sort of environment. And also by the incredible meekness of the press - the fact that they seem incapable to adapt to this sort of freak show.

To be fair, when Trump lambasted Acosta, another guy who had the mike instantly defended him, and was slammed by the Orange One as well. They could have done a walkout or something, true. I guess the next White House correspondants dinner will be really scathing.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on November 09, 2018, 03:46:48 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2018, 03:37:57 AM

You mean deplorations?

If the deplorables lose, Canada is not taking them

Eddie Teach

You needn't worry. As the meme writers are so fond of pointing out, they're the side with the guns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/09/beto-o-rourke-ted-cruz-texas-democrats-midterms

Article ends up reminding me of Macron's grassroots movement in France.

Is there a chance this guy could be the Presidential candidate in 2020?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.