Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2018, 10:55:04 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2018, 10:25:00 AM
So Antifa protesters found out where Tucker Carlson lives and the mob descended on his house ringing his door bell and chanting outside. What a weird time we live in.

WTF? I hope the police were called.

I mean I get that some people suck but going to somebody's home is over the line. People need to be secure in their own homes.

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 10:31:26 AM
Well, he sure does sound like Fascist on tv.

Oh he is a piece of garbage but still...

There is no still, why does he get to be safe in his own home when his speech is making other people not safe?

Really?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2018, 10:12:17 AM
Calling all (American) lawtalkers:

According to my understanding of the law,  Jim Acosta was the victim of battery at the White House pres conference.  The intern clearly intentionally touched him, the touching was unwelcome, and it was offensive.  I know laws on battery vary by jurisdiction, but doesn't this seem like battery?  Can Acosta file a complaint?

You can always file a complaint . . .
Criminal battery is a state law issue, so presumably DC criminal law applies.  It sometimes gets complicated on federal property but I don't think there is any generic federal battery statute that would cover.

In any event something that wouldn't be likely to be prosecuted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

There is no still, why does he get to be safe in his own home when his speech is making other people not safe?

Rule of law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

So Antifa protesters found out where Tucker Carlson lives and the mob descended on his house ringing his door bell and chanting outside. What a weird time we live in.

I mean I get that some people suck but going to somebody's home is over the line. People need to be secure in their own homes.

No, there is still. Violence or the threat of it cannot be part of politics. Rome tried that. the Weimar Republic also tried it, among others.

Eddie Teach

Why do you get to be safe in your own home when your speech is making Tucker Carlsen unsafe?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2018, 11:58:33 AM
We are entering some really weird territory.

No, rule of mobs is dangerous, but hardly new.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 08, 2018, 12:03:15 PM

Rule of law.

Your President is doctoring videos to exclude journalist. Rule of law is failing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 08, 2018, 12:04:36 PM

Why do you get to be safe in your own home when your speech is making Tucker Carlsen unsafe?

Personally? A better country where we have not let right wingers take control.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 12:08:12 PM
Your President is doctoring videos to exclude journalist. Rule of law is failing.

And doing things like this empowers more of that crap. Putting aside my own moral repugnance of threatening somebody in their home, on a practical level once you have mobs going to people's houses to intimidate them well then the other side will have to get their own mobs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Personally I think the entire WH press corps and all news organization should refuse to cover WH briefings until Sanders apologizes or is fired.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 11:46:25 AM
I know you specifically excluded me, but it would seem that the level of contact on either party was so low it would run contrary to de minimus non curat lex.

So you be;lieve that, had he tried to grab the microphone away from her, the level of contact on either party was so low it would run contrary to de minimus non curat lex?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 12:09:06 PM

The problem with your dream scenario where the mob silences unpopular views is that right wing mobs are far more likely to silence left wing critics than the reverse, thus ruining your "better country" - but at least you'd get the blood you want.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2018, 12:12:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 08, 2018, 11:46:25 AM
I know you specifically excluded me, but it would seem that the level of contact on either party was so low it would run contrary to de minimus non curat lex.

So you be;lieve that, had he tried to grab the microphone away from her, the level of contact on either party was so low it would run contrary to de minimus non curat lex?

In terms of criminal charges? Yes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on November 08, 2018, 12:18:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2018, 12:09:06 PM

The problem with your dream scenario where the mob silences unpopular views is that right wing mobs are far more likely to silence left wing critics than the reverse, thus ruining your "better country" - but at least you'd get the blood you want.

That is true.  :(

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 08, 2018, 12:11:56 PM
Personally I think the entire WH press corps and all news organization should refuse to cover WH briefings until Sanders apologizes or is fired.

The problem is that all things Trump gets great ratings for all the news networks.  If they refused to cover Trump no one would watch.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.