Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
Verified account

@realDonaldTrump

We got A Pluses for our recent hurricane work in Texas and Florida (and did an unappreciated great job in Puerto Rico, even though an inaccessible island with very poor electricity and a totally incompetent Mayor of San Juan). We are ready for the big one that is coming!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

We should send an explorer to the strange and inaccessible land, and then share with them the secret of ELECTRICITY!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2018, 08:42:25 AMHoly fuck - as someone who has ran a perjury trial that is goddamn miles away from perjury.  Mere "contradiction" is nowhere near enough.

Yeah, there have been several prominent American legal scholars who have pointed out that Kavanaugh is nowhere near perjury in his statements.

Timmy is right they could pack the court if/when the Democrats are in power again, but I think it unwise. My favored solution for the controversy around the Supreme Court is a constitutional amendment significantly curtailing its power and ending judicial review of congressional legislation in most circumstances--judicial review is unnecessary for the functions of a modern state and it overly politicizes the judiciary.

DGuller

Any constitutional amendment is highly unlikely, so it can't be a practical solution.  And if you have enough consensus for an amendment, then you may as well add on an an 18 year term limit for every seat, so that we're not playing an actuarial lottery with an important branch of government.

derspiess

What about the thing where Kavanaugh referred to birth control pills as abortion-inducing drugs? That's pretty infuriating, right?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 12, 2018, 10:21:56 AM
Raz, why do you spend so much time reading the ravings of madmen? :unsure:

I figure he comes here for more-or-less the same reasons as the rest of us.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2018, 03:58:30 PM
QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
Verified account

@realDonaldTrump

We got A Pluses for our recent hurricane work in Texas and Florida (and did an unappreciated great job in Puerto Rico, even though an inaccessible island with very poor electricity and a totally incompetent Mayor of San Juan). We are ready for the big one that is coming!

More Americans died on your watch there than 9/11. Bang up job agent oragne.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2018, 05:40:25 PM
What about the thing where Kavanaugh referred to birth control pills as abortion-inducing drugs? That's pretty infuriating, right?

Did he mean abortion-preventing drugs? Because otherwise I am more confused than infuriated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2018, 07:27:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2018, 05:40:25 PM

Did he mean abortion-preventing drugs? Because otherwise I am more confused than infuriated.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/406428-kavanaugh-explains-abortion-inducing-drugs-remark-amid-backlash

QuoteSupreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh told senators that he was summarizing the plaintiffs' views in an ObamaCare case when he referred to birth control as "abortion-inducing drugs."

Kavanaugh's use of the phrase during his confirmation hearing sparked days of backlash from Democrats and progressive groups, who argued the Supreme Court pick was trying to signal his own views.

But Kavanaugh, in written responses provided to the Senate Judiciary Committee, told senators that the phrase, "abortion-inducing drugs," summarized the plaintiffs' position, stating "I was accurately describing the plaintiffs' position."

"At the hearing, I was not expressing an opinion on whether particular drugs induce abortion; I used that phrase only when recount the plaintiffs' own assertions," Kavanaugh wrote in a response to Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) about his use of the phrase.

Kavanaugh gave a similar answer later in a written response to Democratic Sen. Mazie Hirono (Hawaii). Hirono asked Kavanaugh if, regardless of whether the term was used by a party, he believed that birth control or contraceptives are "abortion-inducing drugs."

Kavanaugh doubled down on his response to Grassley in responding to Hirono's question.

The Supreme Court nominee sparked a political firestorm when he used the phrase "abortion-inducing drugs" last week during his marathon confirmation hearing. The phrase came as part of Kavanaugh's response to a question from Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) about his opinion in a case — Priests for Life v. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Kavanaugh dissented from the D.C Circuit's decision not to rehear a challenge religious employers brought against the Affordable Care Act's contraception coverage requirement.

"It was a technical matter of filling out a form in that case. In that case, they said filling out the form would make them complicit in the provision of the abortion-inducing drugs that they were, as a religious matter, objected to," Kavanaugh told Cruz.

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) quickly pounced on Kavanaugh's word choice in a tweet, but was later criticized for taking his comments out of context.

Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler awarded Harris "four Pinocchios" for not making it clear Kavanaugh was describing the views of the plaintiffs in the case, not his own.

Hillary Clinton echoed Harris's criticism in a series of tweets Wednesday, claiming the comment shows Kavanaugh's extremist ideology.

"Kavanaugh didn't use that term because he misunderstands the basic science of birth control — the fact that birth control prevents fertilization of eggs in the first place. He used that term because it's a dog whistle to the extreme right," the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee tweeted.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Cool, I love it when the President of the US denies American deaths.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Trump will never ever take responsibility for anything he does. Every mistake is somebody else trying to screw him. Every criticism is a lie. Every praise is truth. And as our country is full of victims who always blame everybody else for their own fuckups I guess we got the President we deserve.

But he has always been like that. It is what I really hated about him in the 1980s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."