What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Sometimes I think, the economy is doing quite well by historical standards, and the politics is already this crazy.  Can't imagine what will happen when a recession hits, and it is only a matter of time before it does. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on September 11, 2018, 07:52:31 PM
Sometimes I think, the economy is doing quite well by historical standards, and the politics is already this crazy.  Can't imagine what will happen when a recession hits, and it is only a matter of time before it does.
I don't think the correlation is positive.  The good economic times give you the luxury of bad politics, whereas crisis makes people focus and drop the nonsense.  After WWI, the boom times gave US Harding and Coolidge, while the Great Depression gave the US FDR.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2018, 08:36:56 AM
http://www.supernewsworld.com/Stop-Making-Me-Defend-Donald-Trump--We-The-Internet-TV-6531074.html

:ph34r:

President for Life - what a funny joke.  Hah, hah.
Let's work in some Reichstag fire jokes while were at it. Say what you want about Hitler, he knew how to deal with Congress!  Yuk, yuk.

It's hard to ascribe "joke" explanations to a man who notoriously has no sense of humor or ability to self-deprecate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 12, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
http://www.supernewsworld.com/Stop-Making-Me-Defend-Donald-Trump--We-The-Internet-TV-6531074.html

Let's work in some Reichstag fire jokes while were at it. Say what you want about Hitler, he knew how to deal with Congress!  Yuk, yuk.

It's hard to ascribe "joke" explanations to a man who notoriously has no sense of humor or ability to self-deprecate.

I do wonder how big a political effect the use of "humour" (in the form of trolling liberals) has had. So many people who support Trump do so, it seems, because they find it amusing to see liberals lose their cool about him.

What an absurdly petty reason to inflict deliberate harm on one's own civilization. There are better ways to get laughs than electing an ignorant clown as President. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Yep.  Trump is literally Hitler.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

If he were literally Hitler, he would be scattered ashes in Berlin.
We are not so fortunate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2018, 09:54:08 AM

Yep.  Trump is literally Hitler.

"The unindoctrinated should not be able to tell if we are joking or not,"
- Daily Stormer Style Guide.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Trump on the Hurricane approaching the Carolinas:

Quote"They haven't seen anything like what's coming at us in 25, 30 years, maybe ever. It's tremendously big and tremendously wet."

Full address: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/trump-on-hurricane-florence.html

Quote"Puerto Rico was actually our toughest one of all, because it's an island, so you can't truck things onto it, everything's by boat," Trump told reporters. "It was one of the best jobs that's ever been done."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Raz, why do you spend so much time reading the ravings of madmen? :unsure:

Oexmelin

You mean the President of the United States?
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 12, 2018, 10:21:56 AM
Raz, why do you spend so much time reading the ravings of madmen? :unsure:

Oh.  I thought that that was another one of those quotes from Alpha Centauri, like "The Morgans fear what may not be purchased, for a trader cannot comprehend a thing that is priceless."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 12, 2018, 10:29:57 AM

The Daily Stormer (and Breitbart). Trump isn't mad, merely senile.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 12, 2018, 10:37:25 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 12, 2018, 10:29:57 AM

The Daily Stormer (and Breitbart). Trump isn't mad, merely senile.

Little side project.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall