What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 13, 2018, 08:50:47 PM
The hurricane tweet?

All those people didn't die, it's just a conspiracy to make me look bad.

Just switch out the ethnicity of the victms and the number, the thinking behind it is exactly the same. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Timmy, you do understand there is some controversy around that number, right?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2018, 09:14:47 PM

There abosultely is not. Name one credible person or organization that denies it. Paul Ryan, Rick Scott, and others from the president's own party say the number is accurate.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/13/hurricane-maria-death-toll-study-george-washington-university-death-toll-donald-trump/1288908002/
QuoteThis was a scientific research project commissioned by the government of Puerto Rico and independently done," said Carlos Santos-Burgoa, who led the study from George Washington University's Milken Institute of School of Public Health.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2018, 09:14:47 PM

Which one, the Holocaust or the one done by the US government?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2018, 12:19:52 AM
Good God, Tim.

Fuck off. I know people who went without power for four months because this feckless spray tanned orangutan is too lazy and racist to do his job. When he goes out there on a public forum and pretends thousands of people didn't die, that millions of people didn't suffer, because of his malicious neglect, I'm going to call out his attempts to gaslight America for what they are.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2018, 09:45:44 PM
There abosultely is not. Name one credible person or organization that denies it.

The Economist *questions* it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2018, 01:57:41 AM
There abosultely is not. Name one credible person or organization that denies it.

Link me

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

And PRs went without power for a million months because the the PR electrical generator is a disfuntncionnal  shitbag.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2018, 02:08:18 AM
And PRs went without power for a million months because the the PR electrical generator is a disfuntncionnal  shitbag.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776
Quote from: Donald J. TrumpLeadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

I can't get into that Economist article because I have used up my free articles. Will check at home.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

That's an infantile paganistic big chief way of thinking about leadership.  Leaders don't determine fate.  They make choices.

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2018, 01:38:51 AM
Good God, Tim.

Fuck off. I know people who went without power for four months because this feckless spray tanned orangutan is too lazy and racist to do his job. When he goes out there on a public forum and pretends thousands of people didn't die, that millions of people didn't suffer, because of his malicious neglect, I'm going to call out his attempts to gaslight America for what they are.

No matter how bad Trump is, using a Holocaust analogy on him is flat-out stupid.  I know you're addled by TDS, but you need to pull yourself out of that and come to grips with reality.  I'm here to help :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2018, 01:57:41 AM

True. But not in a way at all supportive of the President's position.

A paper published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine provides perhaps the best estimate to date, albeit an uncertain one. Using clever sampling techniques of some 3,000 Puerto Rican households, on a door-by-door basis, the researchers attribute some 26 deaths to Maria in 2017. Applying that number to the population as a whole gives an estimate of 793 to 8,498 deaths. (The confidence intervals are large to account for the tiny number of actual deaths reported.) That range, however, is likely to be an underestimate: single-occupancy households that were interviewed, by definition, survived the hurricane. De-biasing those households for implicit survivorship provides a final estimate of some 1,506 to 9,889 deaths.

That is a large range indeed. But counting deaths in the wake of disasters is not a problem unique to Puerto Rico. The death toll from Hurricane Katrina in 2005 is still disputed.

The point being made is that counting up the dead attributable to a mass disaster is inherently difficult: but also, that using "clever sampling techniques", we can establish a range - and in this case, that range indicates that lots and lots of people died (the exact number of which remains unknown and probably unknowable).

The President's position seems to be that lots and lots of people didn't die, that the claim that they did was a political lie to discredit him. Uncertainty about the numbers doesn't support that at all.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2018, 08:19:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2018, 01:38:51 AM
Good God, Tim.

No matter how bad Trump is, using a Holocaust analogy on him is flat-out stupid.  I know you're addled by TDS, but you need to pull yourself out of that and come to grips with reality.  I'm here to help :)
He currently has 12,800 children in desert concentration camps.

How is it stupid? These statements are stylistically the same.

"Millions of Jews didn't die in the holocaust. It's just a conspiracy to make Hitler look bad."
"Thousands of Americans didn't die in Puerto Rico. It's just a conspiracy to make me (Trump) look bad"

1 Karma Chameleon point