Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I tuned in to watch Biles and the Spanish TV served me up some idiotic horse jumping race where the lone Spaniard competing didn't even finish near the top. Yay Spanish TV!

Valmy

It is pretty fortunate that we have both the greatest male and female Olympians in US history in the same Olympics eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Simone biles maybe the greatest female gymnasts but it's premature to call her the greatest female Olympian.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Yeah, what makes Phelps great is that he's been owning the place since 2004.

Gymnasts careers are way too short for Biles to replicate this kind of record, although she should still be up for it in 2020.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on August 14, 2016, 03:04:41 PM
Norman wins the scratch discipline. :w00t:

He took the bunch by a lap, but only got a few points to show for it against the other favourites... I wonder if it's wasted energy. :hmm:

But he won it! :w00t:

Next up: time trial.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on August 14, 2016, 02:47:59 PM

Gymnasts careers are way too short for Biles to replicate this kind of record, although she should still be up for it in 2020.
Also a lot of your success depends on how lucky you are with injuries and their timing.  Mustafina just won another gold, and she's a shadow of her former self.  How much better would she be had she not torn her ACL early into her career?  There are probably quite a few great ones like that who never survived in the sport long enough to show their talent.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2016, 03:14:58 PM

Also a lot of your success depends on how lucky you are with injuries and their timing.  Mustafina just won another gold, and she's a shadow of her former self.  How much better would she be had she not torn her ACL early into her career?  There are probably quite a few great ones like that who never survived in the sport long enough to show their talent.

You know you live in America, right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2016, 03:26:42 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2016, 03:14:58 PM

You know you live in America, right?
I believe I do know that. :unsure:

Eddie Teach

That's okay. She's cuter than the American gymnasts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Norman wins the 4k pursuit and sets Olympic Record! :w00t:

Liep

Norman is eliminated first in the elimination race. :weep:

Liep

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on August 11, 2016, 08:41:45 AM
One a day-by-day basis, Team GB is ahead of its 2012 medal win schedule, surprisingly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36970388
Still doing well. Currently ahead of China in the medals table :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Bolt wins the 100m, but with a time of 9.81, that had he put up in London, would have left him off the podium. Not sure what the wind was doing. I suspect a new generation of sprinters will take over by 2020.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014