This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

I read something about this before, but I just took a look at the text of the 2nd amendment:

QuoteA well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

How, exactly, do you go from "a well regulated militia" to "I should be able to get whatever guns I want and shoot people who threaten me"?

Berkut

Quote from: Solmyr on June 16, 2016, 10:43:08 AM
I read something about this before, but I just took a look at the text of the 2nd amendment:

QuoteA well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

How, exactly, do you go from "a well regulated militia" to "I should be able to get whatever guns I want and shoot people who threaten me"?

Because guns are cool.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2016, 10:43:54 AM

Because guns are cool.

The more serious answer is that of course you cannot.

The idea that the 2nd enunciates a personal right to bear particular weapons is actually rather new, and was never understood to mean that for the first couple hundred years the amendment existed.

The NRA did a masterful job of Soviet like propaganda and invented the current "interpretation" of the Second pretty much out of whole cloth, and got it sold.

Now, it does mean that, because the USSC says it means that. Shrug.

They also say that doesn't mean that things like magazine size restrictions are unconstitutional, but the brilliant constitutional scholars like Siege are rather selective in their acceptance of these facts.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

I still say that right ought to enable folks to have as many 18th century flintlocks as they want, in case the US requires a militia in the form the framers intended. Sadly, my interpretation is not listened to.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Siege on June 16, 2016, 09:26:59 AM
I don't like shotguns. Range is too limited, and if the animal is wearing body armor you are reduced to head and extremity shots, which i prefer not to do.
Animals wear body armor now?  That's quite an impressive evolutionary response to hunting.

Oexmelin

For those who are interested, you can look up David Konig's "Why the Second Amendment Has a Preamble: Original Public Meaning and the Political Culture of Written Constitutions in Revolutionary America"
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on June 16, 2016, 12:14:15 AM
Fucking twat

:blink: What kind of...I swear to God it is terrible stuff like this is why people give the media so much shit.

QuoteAnimals wear body armor now?  That's quite an impressive evolutionary response to hunting.

Siege only hunts Armadillos. And he should, fuckers will dig big holes in your yard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Pretty much then only guns I have ever shot have been shotguns for clay pigeon shooting fun.

Admiral Yi

Through the independent clause that follows the well regulated militia clause.

dps

Quote from: Malthus on June 16, 2016, 10:48:02 AM

I still say that right ought to enable folks to have as many 18th century flintlocks as they want, in case the US requires a militia in the form the framers intended. Sadly, my interpretation is not listened to.  :D

Actually, by law, the militia in the U.S. consists of all able-bodied male citizens between 17 and 70 (might have the ages wrong;  I'm doing this from memory).  I'd like to see what happens if a gun-control advocate tries to argue that means we can ban women from owning guns.

lustindarkness

We've never had this discussion here in languish before, how refreshing. :rolleyes:

I personally would love to live in a society with no guns, but since I don't, I'll continue to carry one myself.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2016, 04:51:09 PM
Be the gun control you want to see in the world.

Yes, I keep control of my gun, which is what I wish other gun owners would do.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom