This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 08:53:10 AM
I shot a 12-gauge for the first time a few months back.  The 00 buckshot load did hurt my shoulder (no bruising) and my brief PTSD was overcome by the hilarity of the milk jug exploding.

You was a old shotgun virgin.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on June 15, 2016, 11:03:53 PM
Is it just me who feels that the use of these bullets goes way beyond self-defence needs?

I get what you're saying, but in self defense you do not shoot to wound. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2016, 08:55:23 AM
I shot a 12-gauge for the first time a few months back.  The 00 buckshot load did hurt my shoulder (no bruising) and my brief PTSD was overcome by the hilarity of the milk jug exploding.

12-gauge virgin.  I had shot a 20 gauge and a crappy .410 before.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 08:56:50 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2016, 08:55:23 AM

12-gauge virgin.  I had shot a 20 gauge and a crappy .410 before.

Felt good slamming those shells in, didn't it?

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2016, 08:59:41 AM

It was okay.  A shotgun just seems like such a blunt, brutish tool.  It was fun to see what it did to the targets.

lustindarkness

Quote from: 11B4V on June 16, 2016, 12:14:15 AM
Fucking twat

The recoil bruised my shoulder, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary form of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 09:02:44 AM

It was okay.  A shotgun just seems like such a blunt, brutish tool.  It was fun to see what it did to the targets.

kind and sensitive person.

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2016, 11:20:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 15, 2016, 11:02:57 AM
How has firepower increased?  Are people running around the streets with Barrett .50 cal rifles or something?

Read the article.

Hey retard, the 2nd ammendment is a constitutional right, whether you like it or not. You wanna remove the 2nd? Get 38 States to support your removal of the 2nd.

In the meantime, the 2nd is a constitutional right:

https://youtu.be/DNDcd1Fe5lg

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

When I was a lad I shot a 12 gage, memorably, into an old TV set a friend of mine was throwing out. Very satisfying.  :D

The 10 gage is even nastier. I can see why it is less popular these days.  :lol: You really have to hold it tight to your shoulder or you will regret it.

It would probably break that fellow in the article.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 09:02:44 AM

I don't like shotguns. Range is too limited, and if the animal is wearing body armor you are reduced to head and extremity shots, which i prefer not to do.

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on June 16, 2016, 09:19:50 AM

When I was a lad I shot a 12 gage, memorably, into an old TV set a friend of mine was throwing out. Very satisfying.  :D

The 10 gage is even nastier. I can see why it is less popular these days.  :lol: You really have to hold it tight to your shoulder or you will regret it.

It would probably break that fellow in the article.  ;)

You are supposed to do that with every weapon system.
You hold it tight against your shoulder to control the recoil, so it pushes you instead of kicking you. Any space between your shoulder and the buttstock will give momentum to the recoil kick.

You can take an AR15 and putt it tight against your balls and fire it with no problem, as long as it is tight. Don't do that with a shotgun though.

Malthus

Quote from: Siege on June 16, 2016, 09:32:53 AM
You are supposed to do that with every weapon system.
You hold it tight against your shoulder to control the recoil, so it pushes you instead of kicking you. Any space between your shoulder and the buttstock will give momentum to the recoil kick.

I know; I'm just making the point that if you fail to do that with a 10 gage, you will *really* regret it, because it kicks like a mule.

Not only that, but modern guns often come with fancy padded buttstocks and the like. My dad's old 10 gage is, of course, bare wood, like nature intended.  ;) Fail to hold it tight against the shoulder, and it is like being beaten with a club - or so I'm told; I always held it tight.

QuoteYou can take an AR15 and putt it tight against your balls and fire it with no problem, as long as it is tight. Don't do that with a shotgun though.

I'll take your word on that.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

My Mosin Nagant M44 carbine has a nice steel buttplate on the stock.  That's one that will definitely bruise you if you don't hold it snug against your shoulder.

Berkut

Quote from: Siege on June 16, 2016, 09:17:43 AM
How has firepower increased?  Are people running around the streets with Barrett .50 cal rifles or something?

Read the article.

Hey retard, the 2nd ammendment is a constitutional right, whether you like it or not. You wanna remove the 2nd? Get 38 States to support your removal of the 2nd.

Who said anything about removing the second?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2016, 10:36:28 AM
Quote from: Siege on June 16, 2016, 09:17:43 AM

Read the article.

Who said anything about removing the second?

OVB did, oddly enough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.