This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2016, 02:50:50 AM
Is dyslexia typically considered a mental, behavioural or emotional disorder? I thought it was a learning disorder.

Learning disorders are sometimes considered mental disorders;  I don't know about "typically".  And dyslexia was just an example;  I could have used something like anorexia or arachnophobia that might be considered a mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder instead.  I would doubt that they should be considered as such for the purposes of the bill, hence my statement that I don't have a problem with the law in principle, but expressed reservations as to what disorders might be covered.

And you've been in Jolly Olde too long--you're adding an extra "u" to some words.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on June 26, 2016, 11:23:59 PM
behavioural
And you've been in Jolly Olde too long--you're adding an extra "u" to some words.  :)

Yeah, knock that shit off, goddammit.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2016, 06:24:25 AM
behavioural

Yeah, knock that shit off, goddammit.

Blame my phone. I'm not going to spend time correcting when autocorrect puts in an actual spelling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Is dyslexia typically considered a mental, behavioural or emotional disorder? I thought it was a learning disorder.

Learning disorders are sometimes considered mental disorders;  I don't know about "typically".  And dyslexia was just an example;  I could have used something like anorexia or arachnophobia that might be considered a mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder instead.  I would doubt that they should be considered as such for the purposes of the bill, hence my statement that I don't have a problem with the law in principle, but expressed reservations as to what disorders might be covered.

Yes with a silly objection. Not that gov'ts don't fuck up but I still don't see why an initial reaction would be ok but with reservations that by disorders they don't mean my list of disorders that have nothing to do with competency at using a gun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.