This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

.38 wadcutters?  Really?    :P

But yes, I love my speedloaders, and I don't care who knows it.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 07:03:41 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 22, 2016, 04:39:56 PM
I would love to have me a M14/M1A. But I don't really need it, it would be used to kill paper more than anything else. :(

It certainly seems a more practical choice than an AR-15 if you're dealing with a substantial amount of property like Otto for a "ranch rifle".

That term in quotes refers to a gun used for probably legal killings on private property that don't get reported to the police.

11B4V

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 22, 2016, 04:22:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2016, 07:33:57 PMAside what been said by B and BB. One just needs to look at the assault rifle development and why it was created to get an answer.

No one can use the excuse for hunting (unless humans). Utter bullshit. The run of the mill assault rifle is not more accurate than the average bolt gun. They are more expensive to boot and less accurate. Most states have caliber restrictions on big game. One shot one down animal. High capacity is irrelevant. You don't fill the thing full of holes. Rather counterproductive. Not to mention you'd be laughed out of any serious hunting camp as a fool.

Varmints you say, again bullshit. To accurize an AR costs even more dough. The cost of an accurized AR, you could buy an accurized bolt gun with a nice scope for 500 yard shooting. Hence serious varmint hunters go bolt action or single shot.

So for hunting, that excuse is utter bullshit.

Home defense they say....bullshit again. A shotgun is far more suitable.

I use my M1A essentially as a "ranch rifle." I have a lot of property and when driving it with truck or ATV I like to have it just in case. I'm not hunting in such a situation, just checking on things. A lot of hilljack nonsense goes on in the mountains and it's not necessarily unheard of to stumble upon it, since I'm on my own property I'd rather have a proper rifle versus a handgun, which I've never been that great with. I don't carry handguns outside of the home and frankly feel it's a pointless addition of hassle to your life for little practical gain, but out where I'd need to deal with something on my own if something came up I simply prefer to be armed, and armed to what I feel is appropriate standard. There's reasons neither handgun or shotgun are ideal for this.

If we lived in a hypothetical world where the M1A was confiscated as part of some fanciful gun ban, my next choice would be something akin to a Winchester 1886 variant, lever action with 8+1 capacity. I suspect those sort of guns would not face much scrutiny because they aren't loaded with detachable magazines of varying size and they fail on almost all the "scary" tests.

I like Remington bolt actions for my hunting rifle as well, but I'm curious as to why you're rolling with an 8x57mm, after some pointless deviation into a 7mm Rem Mag I went back to the .30-06 I've used for deer my entire life. The .30-06 at least at my gun store is $10/box cheaper than the 8x57 and it's also found damn near everywhere I've ever shopped for ammo, which I can't say about the 8x57.

M1A = Battle rifle IMO.  Not an assault rifle by my definition.

Excellent choice BTW.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

:P

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/21/chicago-journalist-denied-ar-15/

Journalist Tries to Buy an AR-15 to Prove a Point, Gets Humiliated

A Chicago journalist dedicated to investigating the ease with which one can acquire an AR-15 had his purchase denied based on a "domestic battery" charge uncovered by the gun store.
The journalist — Neil Steinberg — attempted to buy the gun at Maxon Shooter's Supplies in Des Plaines, Illinois. He needed a FOID care (Firearm's Owners' Identification Card) — which he had — was required to fill out background check forms — which he did — and then had to wait 24 hours before picking up the gun. It was during the 24-hour wait that Steinberg found out Maxon would not sell him an AR-15 because of the past charge and "an admitted history of alcohol abuse."

Writing in the Chicago Sun-Times, Steinberg explained the process of going into the store — seeing the "cases of weapons" — and of trying to buy the AR-15.

He looked at a Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 and made sure to point out that the gun comes with a "standard issue 30-round magazine." He agreed to buy the gun.

While explaining the process of buying the gun, he wrote in a way that showed him reflecting on friends who have suffered the loss of family members to suicide. He also reflected on his neighbor's shocked reaction when he told her, "I just bought an assault rifle."

But in the end, he did not really buy the rifle. Rather, the gun store rejected the sale, saying, "It was uncovered that Mr. Steinberg has an admitted history of alcohol abuse, and a charge for domestic battery involving his wife."

Steinberg responded to the cancelled sale by writing, "Would-be terrorists can buy guns. Insane people can buy guns. But reporters . . . that's a different story."

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

I don't recall a box on the application to check off for "an admitted history of alcohol abuse"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2016, 08:54:56 PM
I don't recall a box on the application to check off for "an admitted history of alcohol abuse"

Of course you don't you haven't bought a gun in ages.

CountDeMoney

Anybody who "admits" to a "history of alcohol abuse" is too retarded to get a gun anyway.

OttoVonBismarck

I've enjoyed a history of alcohol abuse but certainly wouldn't admit it.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2016, 08:54:56 PM

There isn't one on the ATF 4473, and while he did get arrested for domestic violence I don't think he was convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor, I can't tell if he actually had a "qualifying" conviction on his record under the Lautenberg Amendment or if he entered some sort of diversion/charges dismissed program.

The gun seller in this case exercised their right as firearm dealers to decline the sale, and only after needling from him (he claimed he knew the government hadn't blocked the sale, so he expected his 4473 was clean) did they explain their reasons were "his history of domestic violence and alcohol abuse." In his career as a reporter, back in 2008 Neil Steinberg was a drunk with anger problems. One night him and his wife got into it, he slapped her in the face when she went to call 911 and then pulled the phone out of the wall. He was suspended and later an article about him, and the problem among some journalists with alcohol abuse and etc. was published in the paper where he worked (Sun-Times.) My guess is, since other than this most recent thing here, the first page google result for Steinberg is that 2008 article about his domestic violence and alcohol abuse, that the gun store googled his name and reacted based on that.

Since they already knew he wasn't going to leave the store with the gun (and that he couldn't even legally transport it to his home since he lives in Chicago), and had told him they'd just buy it right back from him, it obviously wasn't a genuine moral concern for a bad guy getting a gun. I think he probably rubbed the gun stores guys the wrong way (I read his article 11B4V's Breitpart link references), and he comes off as a giant whiny ass bitch kind and sensitive person, so my guess is the good ole boys relished the opportunity to give him a hearty fuck off.