This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 11:03:31 PM
(I read his article 11B4V's Breitpart link references), and he comes off as a giant whiny ass bitch kind and sensitive person, so my guess is the good ole boys relished the opportunity to give him a hearty fuck off.

I did too and I think your assessment of him is correct.

I found this passage a bit weird in his article:

Quote from: kind and sensitive person reporterOur transaction took nearly an hour because we chatted. Mike used to read newspapers but doesn't anymore because of opinion writers like me. He knew whether it was legal to bring the gun to Chicago — it's not. He was friendly, candid, so I asked difficult questions. Did he ever feel guilty about the people killed by the guns he sells? No, he said, that's like asking a car dealer if he felt guilty if someone gets drunk and kills somebody in a car he sold. It seemed a fair answer. I asked him if I could quote him in the newspaper, and he said no, I couldn't, so I'm not quoting him.

Is this normal practice when it comes to not quoting people? Honest question, I don't know these things at all.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

That seems like he was being a major dipshit. 

E: Whatever happened with that toolshed who was talking about having PTSD from shooting an AR-15 at a range?  He was also talking about weird crazy town shit like imagining bodies dropping in front of him and things like that. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2016, 02:02:49 AM
I found this passage a bit weird in his article:

Quote from: kind and sensitive person reporterOur transaction took nearly an hour because we chatted. Mike used to read newspapers but doesn't anymore because of opinion writers like me. He knew whether it was legal to bring the gun to Chicago — it's not. He was friendly, candid, so I asked difficult questions. Did he ever feel guilty about the people killed by the guns he sells? No, he said, that's like asking a car dealer if he felt guilty if someone gets drunk and kills somebody in a car he sold. It seemed a fair answer. I asked him if I could quote him in the newspaper, and he said no, I couldn't, so I'm not quoting him.

Is this normal practice when it comes to not quoting people? Honest question, I don't know these things at all.

Seems like perfectly normal  douchebag reportage to me.   :lol:

This would be quoting him--
I asked him if I could quote him in the newspaper, and he said, "Sure, you can quote me."

garbon

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-becomes-first-state-put-145141639.html?nhp=1

QuoteHawaii Becomes First State to Put Gun Owners in FBI Database

Hawaii passed a law making it the first state to put gun owners on a federal criminal record database and monitor them.

Hawaii Governor David Ige signed the bill Thursday, which allows police to enroll firearms applicants and individuals who are registering their firearms into "Rap Back," a Federal Bureau of Investigation database that monitors criminal activities by people under investigation or in positions of trust, Reuters reported.

The law takes effect immediately. "Rap Back" allows Hawaii police to be notified when a Hawaii firearm owner is arrested anywhere in the U.S. In addition, the law allows Hawaii police to evaluate whether a firearm owner should continue owning a gun after being arrested.

This move comes after a sit-in by Democrats to support gun control measures that would keep people on the no-fly list from buying a gun.

Previously, Ige had signed a law that disqualifies people convicted of stalking and sexual assault from owning a gun and a law that requires firearm owners diagnosed with a mental, behavioral or emotional disorder to surrender their firearms.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2016, 02:02:49 AM

I've never read an article before in which a person who wanted to remain off the record was quoted.  But then again what can you expect from a juicehead wifebeater.

11B4V

Cleaning up the big stick for some load workups.

.308 Winchester or 7.62x51mm  on the right
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2016, 05:17:39 PM

The law takes effect immediately. “Rap Back” allows Hawaii police to be notified when a Hawaii firearm owner is arrested anywhere in the U.S. In addition, the law allows Hawaii police to evaluate whether a firearm owner should continue owning a gun after being arrested.

I don't have a problem with the monitoring part.  I have some problem with the second part, though, in that it seems to go against the grain of "innocent until proven guilty" and in light of SCOTUS rulings might be considered to be depriving a person of a constitutional right without due process.

QuotePreviously, Ige had signed a law that disqualifies people convicted of stalking and sexual assault from owning a gun and a law that requires firearm owners diagnosed with a mental, behavioral or emotional disorder to surrender their firearms.
[/quote]

No problem with this in principle, depending on how the law defines a "mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder" in this context.  I mean, it doesn't make much sense to keep from owing a gun because they have, for example, dyslexia.

garbon

Is dyslexia typically considered a mental, behavioural or emotional disorder? I thought it was a learning disorder.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2016, 11:40:16 PM

You need to clean up that elliptical.  Less workups, more workouts.  #NoMoreBuwwets

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2016, 01:20:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2016, 11:40:16 PM

You need to clean up that elliptical.  Less workups, more workouts.  #NoMoreBuwwets

I use it all the time. I like rowing machines better, but a good one costs some DOUGH. :o
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

Yep, the Concept2 I have was $900 new but I legit do use it all the time, and it's basically "fitness club" grade. Damn near nothing can break on it but the chain, which is a relatively cheap part to replace and is rated for a huge number of "meters" of rowing (and will likely last long beyond that as long as you oil it every 6 months or so.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2016, 01:34:25 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2016, 01:20:23 PM

I use it all the time. I like rowing machines better, but a good one costs some DOUGH. :o

And those game shelves are a mess.  Your Arab/Israeli stuff is everywhere.  And put all your Kursk-related shit together.  Don't think I don't see that Ring of Fire in the wrong goddamned place, either.

Ed Anger

I'm trying to figure out which game that is. DAS REICH SETUP AREA? Boner!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V