This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2016, 10:13:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2016, 08:40:31 PM
I think you need something a bit more sturdy than a plastic bottle.  Something that can contain the blast of powder going off.  My understanding is that suppressor works by using something like rubber washers to slow down both the gas and the bullet to a subsonic speed.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Beretta 92* (M9, maybe?) with a milspec silencer/suppressor using subsonic ammunition once.  Shit is not like the movies at all  :lol:  Makes you realize how fucking loud the slide during ejection really is.  Pfft-pfft silencer movie FX, my ass.

*Edit, so 11B doesn't have kittens:  fire a Beretta 92
**Double edit, since he's having kittens anyway: discharge a Beretta 92

Soviet era Nagant pistols could use a suppressor, since it has no slide and ejects no casing, I wonder if it's more quite.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 22, 2016, 04:39:56 PM
I would love to have me a M14/M1A. But I don't really need it, it would be used to kill paper more than anything else. :(

It certainly seems a more practical choice than an AR-15 if you're dealing with a substantial amount of property like Otto for a "ranch rifle".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 22, 2016, 04:22:31 PM
I don't carry handguns outside of the home and frankly feel it's a pointless addition of hassle to your life for little practical gain,

They are a pain in the ass.  People who cream themselves over the thought of a concealed carry license never had to wear one every goddamned day. 

The Minsky Moment

Doesn't seem desirable to wear a hunk of metal next to your body on either a hot summer day or a cold winter day.  But never tried it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 07:09:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 22, 2016, 04:22:31 PM
I don't carry handguns outside of the home and frankly feel it's a pointless addition of hassle to your life for little practical gain,

They are a pain in the ass.  People who cream themselves over the thought of a concealed carry license never had to wear one every goddamned day.

Quit being over dramatic, Nancy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 22, 2016, 07:20:57 PM
Doesn't seem desirable to wear a hunk of metal next to your body on either a hot summer day or a cold winter day.  But never tried it.

Well you don't have next to your skin. Some people do, but they're knobs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Only problem with conceal carry is where to jam your extra magazines. I know 7 rounds isn't enough for me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 22, 2016, 07:42:48 PM
Only problem with conceal carry is where to jam your extra magazines. I know 7 rounds isn't enough for me.

Oh brother.

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on June 22, 2016, 07:44:58 PM

Oh brother.

I'm gonna spray rounds like I spray my DNA around.

CountDeMoney

Good grief.

Just leave the house with six in the cylinder, and an Uncle Mike's "Uh Oh" belt pouch for an extra six, Seedy Earp style.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 07:38:11 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 22, 2016, 07:25:01 PM
Quit being over dramatic, Nancy.

Says the service holster boy.

You have summer carry, winter carry and formal carry for formal wear/occasions. We're not savages here. You have to diversify your ensemble for different occasions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 22, 2016, 07:55:20 PM
You have summer carry, winter carry and formal carry for formal wear/occasions. We're not savages here. You have to diversify your ensemble for different occasions.

Fall, Winter, Spring: Bianchi Tuxedo(tm) shoulder holster
Summer:  Fuck, I'm fat

Ed Anger

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 07:51:29 PM

Good grief.

Just leave the house with six in the cylinder, and an Uncle Mike's "Uh Oh" belt pouch for an extra six, Seedy Earp style.

:showoff: