This is why we need to stop being such douchebags about gun violence research

Started by Berkut, June 15, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2016, 09:24:40 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2016, 08:47:37 PM
Brace yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFY0aHftVHg

Watch the April Fool's Day video from that page, as well.  Quite a hoot.  Fast Acting Resonance Technology, indeed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-dCF-5ZT5s

The tucking thing is crooked towards the end. Good catch. :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2016, 08:40:31 PM
I think you need something a bit more sturdy than a plastic bottle.  Something that can contain the blast of powder going off.  My understanding is that suppressor works by using something like rubber washers to slow down both the gas and the bullet to a subsonic speed.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Beretta 92* (M9, maybe?) with a milspec silencer/suppressor using subsonic ammunition once.  Shit is not like the movies at all  :lol:  Makes you realize how fucking loud the slide during ejection really is.  Pfft-pfft silencer movie FX, my ass.

*Edit, so 11B doesn't have kittens:  fire a Beretta 92
**Double edit, since he's having kittens anyway: discharge a Beretta 92

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2016, 10:13:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2016, 08:40:31 PM
I think you need something a bit more sturdy than a plastic bottle.  Something that can contain the blast of powder going off.  My understanding is that suppressor works by using something like rubber washers to slow down both the gas and the bullet to a subsonic speed.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Beretta 92* (M9, maybe?) with a milspec silencer/suppressor using subsonic ammunition once.  Shit is not like the movies at all  :lol:  Makes you realize how fucking loud the slide during ejection really is.  Pfft-pfft silencer movie FX, my ass.

*Edit, so 11B doesn't have kittens:  fire a Beretta 92
**Double edit, since he's having kittens anyway: discharge a Beretta 92

I carry the M9.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2016, 01:35:26 PM
The AR-15 is also highly modular.  You can change it to a larger calibre ammunition and use it for hunting - and now you don't need to buy two separate rifles.

Yeah, the modularity works both ways though.  Once you have a rifle in a certain configuration, you want one in a different configuration with a longer barrel.  Then you want one in 7.62x39.  Fairly easy to build with a small investment in tools, and parts are cheaper and in better quality than ever before.  Next thing you know there are half a dozen ARs in your safe  :blush:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

One for every occasion!

"This one here is my 'steppin' out about town' model."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 12:11:14 PM
One for every occasion!

It is more than just a lifestyle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 12:11:14 PM
One for every occasion!

I built one for my wife that I was going to put pink furniture on, but just couldn't get myself to do it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Noting wrong with going Hello Kitty with an AR.  It's not like anybody's going to laugh at it.

derspiess

I haven't showed her the Hello Kitty AR pictures, because she absolutely would want that.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2016, 01:43:33 PM
Noting wrong with going Hello Kitty with an AR.  It's not like anybody's going to laugh at it.

It's funny, but not "ha ha" funny. 

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2016, 07:33:57 PMAside what been said by B and BB. One just needs to look at the assault rifle development and why it was created to get an answer.

No one can use the excuse for hunting (unless humans). Utter bullshit. The run of the mill assault rifle is not more accurate than the average bolt gun. They are more expensive to boot and less accurate. Most states have caliber restrictions on big game. One shot one down animal. High capacity is irrelevant. You don't fill the thing full of holes. Rather counterproductive. Not to mention you'd be laughed out of any serious hunting camp as a fool.

Varmints you say, again bullshit. To accurize an AR costs even more dough. The cost of an accurized AR, you could buy an accurized bolt gun with a nice scope for 500 yard shooting. Hence serious varmint hunters go bolt action or single shot.

So for hunting, that excuse is utter bullshit.

Home defense they say....bullshit again. A shotgun is far more suitable.

I use my M1A essentially as a "ranch rifle." I have a lot of property and when driving it with truck or ATV I like to have it just in case. I'm not hunting in such a situation, just checking on things. A lot of hilljack nonsense goes on in the mountains and it's not necessarily unheard of to stumble upon it, since I'm on my own property I'd rather have a proper rifle versus a handgun, which I've never been that great with. I don't carry handguns outside of the home and frankly feel it's a pointless addition of hassle to your life for little practical gain, but out where I'd need to deal with something on my own if something came up I simply prefer to be armed, and armed to what I feel is appropriate standard. There's reasons neither handgun or shotgun are ideal for this.

If we lived in a hypothetical world where the M1A was confiscated as part of some fanciful gun ban, my next choice would be something akin to a Winchester 1886 variant, lever action with 8+1 capacity. I suspect those sort of guns would not face much scrutiny because they aren't loaded with detachable magazines of varying size and they fail on almost all the "scary" tests.

I like Remington bolt actions for my hunting rifle as well, but I'm curious as to why you're rolling with an 8x57mm, after some pointless deviation into a 7mm Rem Mag I went back to the .30-06 I've used for deer my entire life. The .30-06 at least at my gun store is $10/box cheaper than the 8x57 and it's also found damn near everywhere I've ever shopped for ammo, which I can't say about the 8x57.

lustindarkness

I would love to have me a M14/M1A. But I don't really need it, it would be used to kill paper more than anything else. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom