Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 04:03:20 PM
Ok, back on topic:

QuoteHere are some strategies to defeat the Islamic State:

Publish a long-form article detailing the challenges involved in fighting an enemy that does not value human life
Refuse to appear terrorized by this constant, worldwide threat of violence and death
Organize a coup, leaving the U.S. free to prop up the ISIS leader of their choice
Spend $1.7 trillion
Attempt to compromise with our adversary by meeting them halfway on their demand to spill the blood of all apostates
Stop flow of new ISIS recruits from West by encouraging disaffected youth to join violent extremist groups back home
Maybe draw them out to sea?
Simply coordinate with our allies on a comprehensive strategy that targets ISIS militants while limiting civilian casualties, while simultaneously addressing the longstanding socioeconomic struggles that drive young Arab men to embrace radicalism, reaching out to liberal and moderate factions within Syria, and addressing our own prejudices that galvanize support for terror around the Islamic world
Train and arm somebody else's kids to go over there and shoot them

Does the person who wrote that think that we should do nothing?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Arming somebody else's kids is a pretty popular answer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 23, 2016, 03:51:52 PM
A sausage and mushroom hijack of a thread on a major tragedy?

Languish has sunk to new lows.  :(

coping mechanism

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2016, 02:15:24 PM
Pickled forest mushrooms.

Marti's mouth is a Petrie dish of sadness in so many ways.

Polish restaurant I took the family to in Chicago a few years ago brought out a complimentary "relish tray" as an appetizer.  And it was huge.  They had some pickled vegetables on there I didn't even know existed.  Would have been great if I liked any pickled beyond... pickles.  Kielbasa was bangin', though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 01:58:07 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that the Spanish fuego sausage (and some other types of sausage/salami, like the Bretagne one) actually smells as if someone jizzed all over it?

WTH? I have no idea what you're talking about. And there's no such a thing like a "fuego sausage".

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2016, 04:28:09 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 01:58:07 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that the Spanish fuego sausage (and some other types of sausage/salami, like the Bretagne one) actually smells as if someone jizzed all over it?

WTH? I have no idea what you're talking about. And there's no such a thing like a "fuego sausage".

You ever had Indian food?

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2016, 02:15:24 PM
Pickled forest mushrooms.

Marti's mouth is a Petrie dish of sadness in so many ways.

Polish restaurant I took the family to in Chicago a few years ago brought out a complimentary "relish tray" as an appetizer.  And it was huge.  They had some pickled vegetables on there I didn't even know existed.  Would have been great if I liked any pickled beyond... pickles.  Kielbasa was bangin', though.
Starapolska in Avondale?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Larch

Apparently one of the suicide bombers had been deported back to Belgium from Turkey last year, after having been caught near the Syrian border, and Turkish authorities had warned Belgium about his radicalization and that it was highly likely that he had been a foreign combatant for yihadi groups in Syria. It must be said that Belgian police don't come out nicely out of this whole affair, it seems.

PJL

From what I've heard the whole thing would make Agatha Christie turn in her grave at how badly the Belgian police have handled this.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2016, 04:45:58 PM
Apparently one of the suicide bombers had been deported back to Belgium from Turkey last year, after having been caught near the Syrian border, and Turkish authorities had warned Belgium about his radicalization and that it was highly likely that he had been a foreign combatant for yihadi groups in Syria. It must be said that Belgian police don't come out nicely out of this whole affair, it seems.

The police should closely watch every potentially violent radical Muslim?

The Larch

Quote from: PJL on March 23, 2016, 04:55:22 PM
From what I've heard the whole thing would make Agatha Christie turn in her grave at how badly the Belgian police have handled this.

Yeah, I talked with a friend living in Brussels the other day and she was fuming against the police, saying that they had been living in a semi-militarized city for months but without any kind of results whatsoever, and hardly any intelligence work being done, just heavily armoured guys patrolling the streets serving more as decoration than for anything useful.

Maladict

It may have been the Netherlands, not Belgium. Or maybe both. Erdogan's message was not entirely clear, but the Dutch intelligence service seems to be in full panic mode.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on March 23, 2016, 05:01:12 PM

It may have been the Netherlands, not Belgium. Or maybe both. Erdogan's message was not entirely clear, but the Dutch intelligence service seems to be in full panic mode.

The article I read said that Turkey had warned both Belgium and the Netherlands.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on March 23, 2016, 04:58:48 PM
Quote from: PJL on March 23, 2016, 04:55:22 PM

Yeah, I talked with a friend living in Brussels the other day and she was fuming against the police, saying that they had been living in a semi-militarized city for months but without any kind of results whatsoever, and hardly any intelligence work being done, just heavily armoured guys patrolling the streets serving more as decoration than for anything useful.

At least they did not appear "somewhat racist". :thumbsup:

The Minsky Moment

It must be said that Belgian police don't come out nicely out of this whole affair, it seems.

Belgian policy rarely come out nicely, especially if they are in their favorite pub.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson