Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

And I think people who refuse to touch food stuffs for religious reasons are idiots who should be fucked with irrespective of whether their "fellow travellers" blow people up or not.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 11:47:57 AM
Hell, after vodka, Polish sausages are the primary vendor item at souvenir shops at Warsaw airport. Which means I can actually put it in my carry on luggage.

:thumbsup: Wiktory!!!

Speaking of Polish sausages, a friend (who has a lot of Polish ancestry) of mine posted on Facebook that she was looking for "white sausages" in the local area and seemed repelled when I told her to just seek out German-style weisswurst, which is abundant.  What makes the Polish white sausage so different from weisswurst?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 22, 2016, 11:45:23 AM
If, as you, Malthus, and I agree, we should avoid racism on one hand but we should take all reasonable security precautions on the other hand it is likely that some of the proposed approaches could shade into racism. In some instances it could be a reasonable compromise, in some instances upon examination there's no racist implication after all, and on others it could end up that after a sober second examination we realize that the proposed solution is kind of racist without any worthwhile benefit.
People like you will scream at racism the moment a society refuses special rights for a racial/religious group.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Hell, after vodka, Polish sausages are the primary vendor item at souvenir shops at Warsaw airport. Which means I can actually put it in my carry on luggage.

May not be a problem for travel within Europe, but watch out if going overseas - in many places, meat products are non-importable (even if inside a wrapper, or otherwise preserved). The reason: pathogens and pests.

In Canada, for example, it looks like you can personally import sausages from the US, but not from elsewhere.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

Even if you can bring it, they will send you to a special line to check out any food you have, which takes a long time and is generally a pain.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Well I know who I'm asking next time I want to travel with meat.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 12:01:25 PM

:thumbsup: Wiktory!!!

Speaking of Polish sausages, a friend (who has a lot of Polish ancestry) of mine posted on Facebook that she was looking for "white sausages" in the local area and seemed repelled when I told her to just seek out German-style weisswurst, which is abundant.  What makes the Polish white sausage so different from weisswurst?

Dunno, but when I was in Gran Canaria just recently they had "sausage blanca" (don't remember Spanish for sausage) and it was completely different from Polish white sausage. I think the term "white sausage" is just a general one used for "raw"/not smoked sausage, with actual composition differing from a region to a region.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2016, 12:21:23 PM

May not be a problem for travel within Europe, but watch out if going overseas - in many places, meat products are non-importable (even if inside a wrapper, or otherwise preserved). The reason: pathogens and pests.

In Canada, for example, it looks like you can personally import sausages from the US, but not from elsewhere.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

Even if you can bring it, they will send you to a special line to check out any food you have, which takes a long time and is generally a pain.

That's fine - I was planning to inconvenience security guards at the Paris airport. :contract:

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 12:38:12 PM
Dunno, but when I was in Gran Canaria just recently they had "sausage blanca" (don't remember Spanish for sausage) and it was completely different from Polish white sausage. I think the term "white sausage" is just a general one used for "raw"/not smoked sausage, with actual composition differing from a region to a region.

I guess I figured with Germany and Poland being next to each other and having such an intertwined history there would be some commonality among the white sausage.

Crazy_Ivan80

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 12:38:12 PM

I guess I figured with Germany and Poland being next to each other and having such an intertwined history there would be some commonality among the white sausage.

Well I know who I'm asking next time I want to know about varieties of European sausage.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that the Spanish fuego sausage (and some other types of sausage/salami, like the Bretagne one) actually smells as if someone jizzed all over it?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2016, 09:29:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 08:58:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 08:23:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 07:43:42 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 23, 2016, 06:20:58 AM
A little anecdote from my boss who flew back from Paris a few days ago. Bags were being checked very thoroughly, they were emptying them and going through everything. Funnily, all the airport security personnel were Muslim, and all the travelers were white. :P

So are you saying the security at Paris airports is not to be trusted?

He's saying put bacon and other pork products in your bags for some extra fun.

:thumbsup:

I will make sure to use this idea if/when travelling for my secondment.

Heh, may want to rethink that - importing meat products in your luggage = problems with inspectors, regardless of religion.  :lol:

there's a polish delicatessen shop not far from where I live. It intrigues me but I have no idea what would be considered a must-taste that isn't vodka or goat-eyes...

Martinus

Any type of pickled forest mushrooms is likely going to be good and not disgusting.