Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Kind of surprised there has been so little terrorism in France. When I was there in 1997 and 1998 it really had a feeling of paranoia about bombings and terrorist attacks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 09:22:13 AM
Kind of surprised there has been so little terrorism in France. When I was there in 1997 and 1998 it really had a feeling of paranoia about bombings and terrorist attacks.

95-96 saw bombings in Paris by Algerian militant groups, IIRC.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

So Flemish teacher's class had his students cheering the attacks and then his tweet about it had him harassed by the cops in some fashion? Is that what is going on there?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 12:46:27 PM
So Flemish teacher's class had his students cheering the attacks and then his tweet about it had him harassed by the cops in some fashion? Is that what is going on there?

That's what the dude said.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2016, 12:52:28 PM

That's what the dude said.

Ok just checking. The translation was a bit rough.

Jacob

No not quite. A Flemish yoga teacher claimed his friends who were teachers told him kids in their classes applauded the attacks, and he tweeted that as if it was a first hand account. Police visited him to inquire.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/655135/Man-says-Muslims-celebrate-Brussels-attacks

Valmy

Maladict

Fwiw I've heard similar stories second hand from a school near The Hague. Kids went round going "isn't it great what happened on Paris?". Just parroting their fathers of course, but still chilling.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2016, 01:30:48 PM
Fwiw I've heard similar stories second hand from a school near The Hague. Kids went round going "isn't it great what happened on Paris?". Just parroting their fathers of course, but still chilling.

It seems hard to believe people would be happy about something so dangerous for them personally. A lot of terrorist attacks is something almost 100% likely to put those people and their families in danger. So why would they be happy about that? :hmm: The idea of right wing nationalists winning elections all over Europe is appealing to them?

HVC

I just find it odd that these stories are always "my friend saw" type things rather than first hand accounts.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Solmyr

I would take such reports with a grain of salt. Here in Finland, for example, racist right-wingers got caught several times fabricating rumors about immigrants that they "heard from a friend".

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on March 24, 2016, 12:53:48 PM

No not quite. A Flemish yoga teacher claimed his friends who were teachers told him kids in their classes applauded the attacks, and he tweeted that as if it was a first hand account. Police visited him to inquire.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/655135/Man-says-Muslims-celebrate-Brussels-attacks

Dutch. Breda is still located in the Netherlands.

that said: In Brussels two pupils are now under investigation for supposed pro-attack expressions.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Solmyr on March 24, 2016, 01:38:00 PM
I would take such reports with a grain of salt. Here in Finland, for example, racist right-wingers got caught several times fabricating rumors about immigrants that they "heard from a friend".

Same here in Germany. The NPD in particular spread a lot of stories about specific cases of migrant crime that turned out to be fabricated when investigated by the police.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 01:35:44 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2016, 01:30:48 PM

It seems hard to believe people would be happy about something so dangerous for them personally. A lot of terrorist attacks is something almost 100% likely to put those people and their families in danger. So why would they be happy about that? :hmm: The idea of right wing nationalists winning elections all over Europe is appealing to them?

Same reason Muslims in New Jersey were cheering in the streets to celebrate the 9/11 attacks.

... except, of course, that didn't actually happen in spite of it being widely reported in the media at the time.