Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

This thread turning to discussing things people eat is somehow disturbing. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 02:03:09 PM
Any type of pickled forest mushrooms is likely going to be good and not disgusting.

Heh, our old Ukrainian nanny (my wife's aunt) was wild about wild mushrooms. We took her up to the cottage, and she spent an hour or two mushroom picking. Only problem was, she was dismayingly uncaring as to which species she picked - there are a couple of highly poisonous ones here. We suggested she not eat random forest mushrooms, but rather stick to a couple of clearly edible varieties ...! 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Solmyr on March 23, 2016, 02:08:33 PM

I'm hoping the sausage part is about actual sausages, and not "sausages"...

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2016, 02:11:13 PM
Any type of pickled forest mushrooms is likely going to be good and not disgusting.

Heh, our old Ukrainian nanny (my wife's aunt) was wild about wild mushrooms. We took her up to the cottage, and she spent an hour or two mushroom picking. Only problem was, she was dismayingly uncaring as to which species she picked - there are a couple of highly poisonous ones here. We suggested she not eat random forest mushrooms, but rather stick to a couple of clearly edible varieties ...!

There is hardly anything better than fresh (or dried) boletus soup. Beeb can (hopefully) attest as we ate it when they were in Krakow.

CountDeMoney

Pickled forest mushrooms.

Marti's mouth is a Petrie dish of sadness in so many ways.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 02:13:01 PM

There is hardly anything better than fresh (or dried) boletus soup. Beeb can (hopefully) attest as we ate it when they were in Krakow.

Yeah, I think I remember having mushroom soup in Krakow that was pretty good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 02:13:01 PM

I love (edible) wild mushrooms. Thing is, you can't just go picking any ones: you have to know the right species. Get just one amanita phalloides in your basket, it can ruin your day.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Oh I never picked mushrooms (neither I or my parents were into it, really. I remember, as a kid, they took me once for "wild mushroom picking" because it was a thing you were supposed to do; we collected a whole basket and when we were walking out of the forest, we noticed a sign saying that the forest has just been sprayed with pesticides. :P).

But whenever we are in the mountains or somewhere similar, we pick a shitton of that stuff from people who look like professional pickers.

Solmyr

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 23, 2016, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 23, 2016, 02:08:33 PM

I'm hoping the sausage part is about actual sausages, and not "sausages"...

Queequeg

I was in Warsaw for 3 weeks and loved just about everything I ate.  I liked Polish food a lot before, but it was actually pretty surprising how much variety there was. 

Also Marty is terrible for not meeting me when I was in Warsaw.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2016, 03:09:37 PM
I was in Warsaw for 3 weeks and loved just about everything I ate.  I liked Polish food a lot before, but it was actually pretty surprising how much variety there was. 

Also Marty is terrible for not meeting me when I was in Warsaw.

WTF. You didn't tell me you were here. I would have met you.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 03:45:15 PM
WTF. You didn't tell me you were here. I would have met you.

[aside]Whew, dodged a bullet there.[/aside]

:sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

A sausage and mushroom hijack of a thread on a major tragedy?

Languish has sunk to new lows.  :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 23, 2016, 03:51:52 PM
A sausage and mushroom hijack of a thread on a major tragedy?

Languish has sunk to new lows.  :(

Sausage and pepperoni would be much better.

Besides, we just had a hijack on whether Israel won the Yom Kippur War in the election thread. If Trump's not a major tragedy, I don't know what is.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Ok, back on topic:

QuoteHere are some strategies to defeat the Islamic State:

Publish a long-form article detailing the challenges involved in fighting an enemy that does not value human life
Refuse to appear terrorized by this constant, worldwide threat of violence and death
Organize a coup, leaving the U.S. free to prop up the ISIS leader of their choice
Spend $1.7 trillion
Attempt to compromise with our adversary by meeting them halfway on their demand to spill the blood of all apostates
Stop flow of new ISIS recruits from West by encouraging disaffected youth to join violent extremist groups back home
Maybe draw them out to sea?
Simply coordinate with our allies on a comprehensive strategy that targets ISIS militants while limiting civilian casualties, while simultaneously addressing the longstanding socioeconomic struggles that drive young Arab men to embrace radicalism, reaching out to liberal and moderate factions within Syria, and addressing our own prejudices that galvanize support for terror around the Islamic world
Train and arm somebody else's kids to go over there and shoot them