Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Liep

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 02:09:29 AM
The tax-evasion facilitator Juncker should fuck off out of the debate, assuming that he isn't in Putin's pay and wants the UK to leave.

:yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Queues to vote in metropolitan London!
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Ugh, I just heard Farage say: "And I'll hope we'll get a Dexit after this". :yuk:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Just seen a man wearing an EU flag. Should've votes leave :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on June 23, 2016, 03:01:24 AM
Ugh, I just heard Farage say: "And I'll hope we'll get a Dexit after this". :yuk:

Yeah, he's mentioned Nexit too. I don't think we're that suicidal. Yet.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm off to vote now, just in case Juncker starts spouting off again and makes me change my mind  :P

Sheilbh

There's also been talk in the UK press of Swexit and Frexit.

Maybe to regain popularity Europe could ban shit portmanteaus  :glare:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Surely Greece deserves to be booted first?   :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Polling station was the busiest I've ever seen it, looks like a better turnout than usual. Perhaps that is not good for the remain cause though. A sort of peasants' revolt, people who would never dream of voting for "them" have been given a chance to vote against "them".

The Brain

Wat's a peasants' revolt?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on June 23, 2016, 03:01:24 AM

What's the D stand for?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malicious Intent

Most likely Denmark.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 03:22:06 AM
Polling station was the busiest I've ever seen it, looks like a better turnout than usual. Perhaps that is not good for the remain cause though. A sort of peasants' revolt, people who would never dream of voting for "them" have been given a chance to vote against "them".

I would have thought high turnout was good for remain. My thinking was the folks who want to leave have high enthusiasm, so if turnout is low they'll be disproportionately represented.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2016, 04:30:47 AM

I would have thought high turnout was good for remain. My thinking was the folks who want to leave have high enthusiasm, so if turnout is low they'll be disproportionately represented.

No voters are usually people who like to complain but are too lazy to actually do something*.

*Except for the ones that go out and kill people.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2016, 02:07:44 AM
I just don't think that threats work that way, at least from a relatively benign organisation. If the UK gets punished then it is the green light for exiters throughout the union to say "look, they are repressive and attacking sovereignty". The thing to do is to appear to bend over backwards to help the UK whilst fucking us over in the back room, then the EU can say "we did everything we could to help the poor UK but their exit was still a disaster"  :P

I think it will be the other way around: there will be clear posturing about strict terms to discourage other states, while behind the scenes fairly lenient terms will be achieved. But the only alternative to that I can see, is EU being strict both in public and private.