Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2018, 09:34:57 AM
To add insult to injury, apparently Boris resigned right before a summit in London between the EU and the Western Balkans countries in which he was supposed to host and no-showed. The delegations were still waiting for him when the announcement was made.

Charming.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 09:37:35 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2018, 09:34:57 AM
To add insult to injury, apparently Boris resigned right before a summit in London between the EU and the Western Balkans countries in which he was supposed to host and no-showed. The delegations were still waiting for him when the announcement was made.

Charming.

It's simply the nth example of this government not caring at all for their supposed jobs and only seeing them as an excuse for jockeying for power and internal dealing in the cabinet.

mongers

Give Corbyn's labour party a turn at government, I cannot see how they'd do worse on Brexit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2018, 09:46:05 AM
Give Corbyn's labour party a turn at government, I cannot see how they'd do worse on Brexit.

The trouble is that I'm not at all sure they won't make an even bigger hash of it.

The Minsky Moment

Besides they will find plenty of other things to screw up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

So what's the play here? Are these guys resigning in the hope to dislodge May, so they can push again for a hard Brexit?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

What twattery.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2018, 06:19:37 AM
As the guys have been pointing it out here, the entire reason for Brexit ever happening is the Tory division over Europe.

At least they solved that problem :lol:

Someone forgot to tell Cameron that Europe is a continental land mass. Absent lots of tectonic activity and tens of millions of years, it ain't going anywhere.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Prime Minister Johnson set to meet President Trump Friday.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 09, 2018, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 09, 2018, 09:46:05 AM

The trouble is that I'm not at all sure they won't make an even bigger hash of it.

Hate Corbyn as much as you like but Keir Starmer really knows his stuff on Europe. Unlike any tory....
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 10:11:25 AM
So what's the play here? Are these guys resigning in the hope to dislodge May, so they can push again for a hard Brexit?
They know that Brexit will be a failure of historic proportions and want to be able to dissociate themselves from it. That way they can blame May and the EU for the political disaster they created.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2018, 11:04:15 AM
They know that Brexit will be a failure of historic proportions and want to be able to dissociate themselves from it. That way they can blame May and the EU for the political disaster they created.

That could be seen as a positive spin regarding them; maybe Putin has Kompromat on them too?

Syt

That seems too ... smart? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 11:15:17 AM

IDK about the others but I am fairly certain BoJo has no plans past becoming PM for the heck of it. He thinks the USP to get there is being pro-Brexit.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2018, 11:18:54 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 11:15:17 AM

IDK about the others but I am fairly certain BoJo has no plans past becoming PM for the heck of it. He thinks the USP to get there is being pro-Brexit.

Johnson is the foremost patriot in the country .

.... of Bojoland