Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

What a twat.

May is out before end of July. I am calling it.

Richard Hakluyt

Next step is for the rebels to get 48 Tory MPs' signatures, send them to the 1922 committee and get a vote of no confidence (by the parliamentary Tory party) in May's leadership.

Tamas

Will they want to do it before or after the WC final?

I am wondering if they feel the distraction is good or bad for them.

Richard Hakluyt

The new Brexit person is Dominic Raab; a leaver it would appear :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44763998

What with that and Gove's support for May, it looks like the brexit faction is split between ultras and pragmatists; so May continues as PM. You know, if she was a cat or a dog we would have put her out of her misery some time ago.

The Larch

There appears to be no love lost for Davis amongst the EU's diplomats, as it seems that he was not really involved in the negotiations anymore.

QuoteThe former Brexit secretary had only attended four hours of talks since the start of the year, and at one point went three months without meeting the EU's chief negotiator Michel Barnier in Brussels.

It's so bizarre that the main stumbling bloc for an UK-EU agreement seems to be the internal division of the UK government...

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2018, 06:08:32 AM
There appears to be no love lost for Davis amongst the EU's diplomats, as it seems that he was not really involved in the negotiations anymore.

QuoteThe former Brexit secretary had only attended four hours of talks since the start of the year, and at one point went three months without meeting the EU's chief negotiator Michel Barnier in Brussels.

It's so bizarre that the main stumbling bloc for an UK-EU agreement seems to be the internal division of the UK government...

As the guys have been pointing it out here, the entire reason for Brexit ever happening is the Tory division over Europe. They rather risked breaking the country than breaking their party, so now they'll break both.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2018, 06:19:37 AM

As the guys have been pointing it out here, the entire reason for Brexit ever happening is the Tory division over Europe. They rather risked breaking the country than breaking their party, so now they'll break both.

I'm perfectly aware of that, I'm just flabbergasted that it has dragged on for so long, and at how brazen (hi B!) they seem to be at sabotaging each other inside the cabinet, with the destiny of the country on the line. It's like playing office politics while the building is on fire.

Tamas

Yeah. They are a really nasty political party. This new Brexit guy with his American Psycho vibe looks right up the alley of the whole thing.

The Larch

Boris Johnson has resigned as well.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Saw a great comment in the Daily Mail :

"David Davies - there's a name we'll never forget"

:P

Tamas

I guess Boris had to make sure he remains the prominent member of the Leaver team. Can't be out-martyred by Davis!

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2018, 06:38:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2018, 06:19:37 AM

I'm perfectly aware of that, I'm just flabbergasted that it has dragged on for so long, and at how brazen (hi B!) they seem to be at sabotaging each other inside the cabinet, with the destiny of the country on the line. It's like playing office politics while the building is on fire.

Yes it's truly pathetic;

Their political careers and party politics above country and future generations.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

To add insult to injury, apparently Boris resigned right before a summit in London between the EU and the Western Balkans countries in which he was supposed to host and no-showed. The delegations were still waiting for him when the announcement was made.

celedhring

May feeling like Lafayette in 1791, except that the Montagnards are the ones fleeing to Varennes.