Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

I expect them to continue to promise unicorns from hard Brexit. And then blame May for the lack of unicorns in reality. That's easy if you don't have to deliver.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2018, 04:02:49 PMJacob Rees-Mogg

He has an ... eclectic taste in children's names (from Wiki):

Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg (b. 2007)
Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg (b. 2008)
Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg (b. 2010)
Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg (b. 2012)
Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg (b. 22 February 2016)
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg (b. July 2017)

Sounds very Catholic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2018, 03:52:53 PM
Quote from: Gups on July 09, 2018, 02:50:37 PM
I'm more and more convinced that the Commission won't accept any deal for frictionless trade which doesn't require adherence to the for freedoms, one of which is simply politically impossible to deliver for the U.K. I  reckon it's going to be a hard Brexit whatever.

The referendum question merely said leaving the EU. Not stopping free movement.

Since our politicians are insisting on this silliness though; What could be workable is something akin agreement the Swiss got after their "stop free movement" referendum. Basically free movement continues but there's some nonsense about employers having to prioritise local candidates.... which of course they do anyway. And then only in areas with an above average unemployment rate...So even less chance of foreigners being hired.
There's zero chance that anyone from either main party could get that through. By all accounts the Commission deeply regret the Swiss deal now.

Gups

Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2018, 03:48:47 PM
Quote from: Gups on July 09, 2018, 02:50:37 PM
I'm more and more convinced that the Commission won't accept any deal for frictionless trade which doesn't require adherence to the for freedoms, one of which is simply politically impossible to deliver for the U.K. I  reckon it's going to be a hard Brexit whatever.
The EU has early, clearly and very transparently stated which British red lines prohibit which scenario due to its own red lines. If Britain is flexible on its red lines, more options open up.

As the UK wants to change the status quo, it is on the UK to define what level of European integration they are willing to accept. The legal framework of the EU is rather intransigent and there is no particular interest by anybody to change it for the UK.

At least according to Theresa May, the UK has not given up on any of its red lines with the Chequers plan, so Canada is still the default option on offer.

If the UK can convince the EU that e.g. a "common rulebook" is giving up the regulatory autonomy red line, they would be willing to offer more.

Canada is not acceptable to anyone because it means a hard border either in Ireland or the Irish sea

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2018, 04:21:03 PM
To think....he has so many kids...which means he had to have had sex on multiple occasions :x

Noooo, his wife had to have sex on multiple occasions.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on July 10, 2018, 12:08:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2018, 04:21:03 PM
To think....he has so many kids...which means he had to have had sex on multiple occasions :x

Noooo, his wife had to have sex on multiple occasions.

Poppycock!

Rees-Mogg and his wife have servants to do the sex for them.

Josquius

:lol:

Theory I've heard - may is smarter than she seems.
Intentionally she threw the hard brexiters under the bus and left them there for 2 years making a complete hash of everything, then once brexit was suitably tainted she'd drag them out and start pursuing a sane approach.

If true... It bodes well. Though I fear she left it too late.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2018, 01:05:46 AM

Intentionally she threw the hard brexiters under the bus and left them there for 2 years making a complete hash of everything, then once brexit was suitably tainted she'd drag them out and start pursuing a sane approach.

:lol: yeah right

I don't see the Leavers as now exhausted and ready to lay down for a soft brexit.

Josquius

The leavers aren't.
The man on the street who was convinced to vote for brexit despite not understanding much about it though?

I think people are getting sick of this and just want it to go away.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2018, 01:05:46 AM

Yes, that is one of my hypotheses.

Might just be wishful thinking though.

Tamas

Well, I think what was obvious when she started was that she included the prominent Brexiters in her government because she didn't want to give them the chance to be backseat drivers over the whole procedure, rolling in to the PM chair over her dead body after Brexit, on a caterpillar of I-told-you-so-s

And at the end of some kind of sane approach will prevail by necessity, as the EU will force it. It will leave British status and power diminished (possibly as the final step in the erosion of the Empire) but at least it won't be the chaos of a no deal crashout.

The Brain

If May had been sane she wouldn't have filed an article 50.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

The Donald slides in with both feet:

QuoteThe UK, that's a situation that's been going on for a long time. I have Nato, I have the UK, which is in somewhat turmoil, and I have Putin. Frankly, Putin may be the easiest of them all, who would think? Who would think? But the UK certainly - they certainly have a lot of things going on.

QuoteBoris Johnson is a friend of mine, he's been very, very nice to me, very supportive. And I maybe will speak to him when I get over there. I like Boris Johnson, I've a;ways liked him.

The Larch

Opinion piece in the Telegraph. Is the British press going mental?  :wacko:

QuoteIs Theresa May guilty of treason? Plenty of readers think so. Politicians would be wise to listen up

Tamas