Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

I've been watching Davis the past few months to try and work out what motivates him; that remains unclear but his very limited intelligence has become obvious.

With BJ it is straightforward; like that other fat wanker it is all about himself.

Josquius

Yes, it's totally all about power for Boris. He has dreams of being a new Churchill.
He was pretty strongly pro-Europe until the referendum came about.
Isn't it confirmed he had wrote two articles, one pro and one anti europe, to announce his side?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 11:15:17 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2018, 11:04:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 10:11:25 AM
So what's the play here? Are these guys resigning in the hope to dislodge May, so they can push again for a hard Brexit?
They know that Brexit will be a failure of historic proportions and want to be able to dissociate themselves from it. That way they can blame May and the EU for the political disaster they created.

That seems too ... smart? :P
Actually, Theresa May should just have given up after her fumbled election and leave Brexit to BoJo. Then at least it would be clear who is to blame. This way she'll look just bad in this.

Syt

My favorite online comment:

QuoteBrexiters are like my dog Stan. He spent 15 years chasing neighbour's  cats. One day he cornered one and didn't have a clue what to do next.  So he sat down and licked his balls.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2018, 11:46:18 AM
Yes, it's totally all about power for Boris. He has dreams of being a new Churchill.

When in fact he's more like a younger, British, functionally literate incarnation of Trump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

I'm more and more convinced that the Commission won't accept any deal for frictionless trade which doesn't require adherence to the for freedoms, one of which is simply politically impossible to deliver for the U.K. I  reckon it's going to be a hard Brexit whatever.

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on July 09, 2018, 02:50:37 PM
I'm more and more convinced that the Commission won't accept any deal for frictionless trade which doesn't require adherence to the for freedoms, one of which is simply politically impossible to deliver for the U.K. I  reckon it's going to be a hard Brexit whatever.

A hard Brexit does seem rather likely.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

My, what can't Jeremy Hunt do?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

The EU has early, clearly and very transparently stated which British red lines prohibit which scenario due to its own red lines. If Britain is flexible on its red lines, more options open up.

As the UK wants to change the status quo, it is on the UK to define what level of European integration they are willing to accept. The legal framework of the EU is rather intransigent and there is no particular interest by anybody to change it for the UK.

At least according to Theresa May, the UK has not given up on any of its red lines with the Chequers plan, so Canada is still the default option on offer.

If the UK can convince the EU that e.g. a "common rulebook" is giving up the regulatory autonomy red line, they would be willing to offer more.

Josquius

The referendum question merely said leaving the EU. Not stopping free movement.

Since our politicians are insisting on this silliness though; What could be workable is something akin agreement the Swiss got after their "stop free movement" referendum. Basically free movement continues but there's some nonsense about employers having to prioritise local candidates.... which of course they do anyway. And then only in areas with an above average unemployment rate...So even less chance of foreigners being hired.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Zanza, you are not listening to the will of the British people!  :mad:

They voted to shed all responsibilities and duties that come with EU membership, while retaining each and every benefit. As I have repeatedly said, the People Have Spoken, and now it is time for the EU to deliver!!!

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2018, 03:54:23 PM
Zanza, you are not listening to the will of the British people!  :mad:

They voted to shed all responsibilities and duties that come with EU membership, while retaining each and every benefit. As I have repeatedly said, the People Have Spoken, and now it is time for the EU to deliver!!!
I think you are right and the perception in Britain in nine months will be that it was the evil eurocrats who made a mess of Brexit, not the Tory party.

The really dangerous thing about Brexit for the British people is that the default EU position aligns with Jacob Rees-Mogg, not Theresa May. If the ERG can just hinder May's attempts for a soft Brexit until March, they will get their desired result by default. I am pretty sure that's what they will try.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2018, 04:02:49 PMJacob Rees-Mogg

He has an ... eclectic taste in children's names (from Wiki):

Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg (b. 2007)
Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg (b. 2008)
Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg (b. 2010)
Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg (b. 2012)
Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg (b. 22 February 2016)
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg (b. July 2017)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

To think....he has so many kids...which means he had to have had sex on multiple occasions :x
██████
██████
██████