Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

Probably a really big gray area, but is cancelling Brexit on UK's hands once Article 50 is a go?

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2018, 12:13:57 PM
Probably a really big gray area, but is cancelling Brexit on UK's hands once Article 50 is a go?

AFAIK no

The Brain

What is she talking about?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2018, 12:13:57 PM

Google suggest they can as long as the final agreement isn't signed.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Article 50...
3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2018, 04:50:51 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/15/theresa-may-donald-trump-told-me-to-sue-the-eu

QuoteTheresa May: Donald Trump told me to sue the EU

PM reveals president's Brexit advice was not to negotiate with the bloc at all

Theresa May has revealed that Donald Trump advised her to "sue the European Union" rather than negotiate with the 27-country bloc, in a private conversation that the US president referred to during his visit to the UK on Friday.

The prime minister was asked on the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show what the "brutal" Brexit negotiating advice was that Trump had talked about in their joint press conference outside the prime minister's Chequers country retreat.

Revealing it for the first time, May said: "He told me I should sue the EU." After being prompted by a surprised Marr, May repeated: "Sue the EU, not go into negotiations with them, sue them."

The prime minister smiled, and indicated she had disregarded the advice, saying "actually we're going into negotiations with them", in remarks that will be interpreted as a put-down of the president.

On Friday, Trump had said he gave May "a suggestion, I wouldn't say advice" about how to handle the Brexit talks, without revealing what it was. "I think she found it maybe too brutal, and that's OK. I gave her a suggestion, not advice. I could fully understand why she thought it was a little bit tough."

Marr's interview with May comes at a politically perilous moment for the prime minister, who is facing calls for a confidence vote over her leadership of the Conservative party, and the prospect of Boris Johnson spelling out the reasons for his resignation in a newspaper column on Monday.

Reports at the weekend suggested that around 40 of the 48 MPs needed had lodged no confidence letters with the chairman of the party's backbench 1922 Committee.

May indicated that she would seek to fight off any challenge, saying: "I want to focus people's minds on how you ensure you achieve that prize, the benefits of leaving the European Union." She added: "I have always said I'm in this for the long term."

So under what court would the UK sue the EU?  On what Grounds?  What kind of damages would they be seeking?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

May caved to the hard Brexiteers and will accept their amendments that make her customs plan and the EU backstop on Northern Ireland impossible. Does she have any particular strategy how to ever get Brexit passed in parliament ... the British and European ones...

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2018, 12:17:06 AM
May caved to the hard Brexiteers and will accept their amendments that make her customs plan and the EU backstop on Northern Ireland impossible. Does she have any particular strategy how to ever get Brexit passed in parliament ... the British and European ones...

It's such a mess. Looks like her entire Brexit strategy, after all, is to stay in power for one more day.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2018, 06:26:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2018, 04:50:51 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/15/theresa-may-donald-trump-told-me-to-sue-the-eu

QuoteTheresa May: Donald Trump told me to sue the EU

PM reveals president's Brexit advice was not to negotiate with the bloc at all

Theresa May has revealed that Donald Trump advised her to "sue the European Union" rather than negotiate with the 27-country bloc, in a private conversation that the US president referred to during his visit to the UK on Friday.

The prime minister was asked on the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show what the "brutal" Brexit negotiating advice was that Trump had talked about in their joint press conference outside the prime minister's Chequers country retreat.

Revealing it for the first time, May said: "He told me I should sue the EU." After being prompted by a surprised Marr, May repeated: "Sue the EU, not go into negotiations with them, sue them."

The prime minister smiled, and indicated she had disregarded the advice, saying "actually we're going into negotiations with them", in remarks that will be interpreted as a put-down of the president.

On Friday, Trump had said he gave May "a suggestion, I wouldn't say advice" about how to handle the Brexit talks, without revealing what it was. "I think she found it maybe too brutal, and that's OK. I gave her a suggestion, not advice. I could fully understand why she thought it was a little bit tough."

Marr's interview with May comes at a politically perilous moment for the prime minister, who is facing calls for a confidence vote over her leadership of the Conservative party, and the prospect of Boris Johnson spelling out the reasons for his resignation in a newspaper column on Monday.

Reports at the weekend suggested that around 40 of the 48 MPs needed had lodged no confidence letters with the chairman of the party's backbench 1922 Committee.

May indicated that she would seek to fight off any challenge, saying: "I want to focus people's minds on how you ensure you achieve that prize, the benefits of leaving the European Union." She added: "I have always said I'm in this for the long term."

So under what court would the UK sue the EU?  On what Grounds?  What kind of damages would they be seeking?

Why do you hate America?

Josquius

Damn.i thought those steps in a positive direction were too good to be true :(
██████
██████
██████

ulmont

Yeah, but that was yesterday.

QuoteThe Brexiters defeated the most controversial amendments by just three votes on Monday night.

And:

QuoteLabour confirmed it would back an amendment tabled by rebel Tory MPs seeking to ensure Britain remains in a customs union after Brexit.
Tory remainers Nicky Morgan and Stephen Hammond have tabled an amendment to the trade bill under which Britain would be forced to join a customs union with the EU if no agreement were reached on frictionless trade by 21 January 2019.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/17/may-faces-brexit-defeat-as-labour-backs-customs-union-amendment

Tamas

I feel so stupid because for about two days I thought this "white paper" was a step forward. Not something good, necessarily, but a step away from the start, now, 8 months from the deadline.

But no. They keep fighting the same fucking fights. Meaningless ones too because the EU will turn down everything that has been presented so far.

Tamas

The EU is supposed to tell its member states this week to start prepping for a no-deal crashout.

I will be able to just about slide in and get my permanent residency here in the UK (assuming the Home Office will work fast enough once I am eligible to request), but my wife won't.

But at least the Brits are more practical about missing paperwork and such than some other countries.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2018, 10:11:23 AM
The EU is supposed to tell its member states this week to start prepping for a no-deal crashout.

I will be able to just about slide in and get my permanent residency here in the UK (assuming the Home Office will work fast enough once I am eligible to request), but my wife won't.

But at least the Brits are more practical about missing paperwork and such than some other countries.

How come? She's there already right?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 17, 2018, 11:07:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2018, 10:11:23 AM

How come? She's there already right?

She arrived on a PhD scholarship and that doesn't count as paying for healthcare, so those years don't count for the 5 you need.