Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 04:09:49 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 03:42:46 PM
I just hope that there is someone I feel is worth voting for at the next election.

The German press is extremely negative about Boris Johnson today. Donald Trump levels of negative.

The French press doesn't seem very keen on him either.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, I will say the most concerning thing UKIP and the Brexit movement share with the U.S. electorate (including those like the Sanders supporters who ignore basic economic or constitutional reality, and all the insanities of the right) is the "democratization of facts." Or rather, the idea that facts are what we "feel" must be true. OR in the words of the Dude, "that's just like, your opinion, man."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

The anti-nuclear movement isn't bigotry but is certainly the result of anti-intellectualism.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 04:48:02 PM
The anti-nuclear movement isn't bigotry but is certainly the result of anti-intellectualism.

I think as soon as anti-intellectualism takes hold it either gets progressively angrier and blinded by rage or it thinks that it has succeeded.  Nuclear power has declined in usage almost worldwide, in some part because of cheaper (but mostly higher pollution) energy available but also due to narrow minded fears about it.  The anti-nuclear movement doesn't need to be as bigoted and angry because it is achieving its goals.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 04:21:18 PM

Prediction: David Cameron will go into history as the worst British Prime Minister since Lord North.

Certainly he seems set to be the PM who kills the UK- crashes the economy, Scottish Independence, maybe loses Gibralter (what IS happening there? Some co-ownership with Spain could  be possible?)
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 04:58:50 PM
Certainly he seems set to be the PM who kills the UK- crashes the economy, Scottish Independence, maybe loses Gibralter (what IS happening there? Some co-ownership with Spain could  be possible?)

I don't see how on the last bit unless it became part of the negotiated exit. Gibraltar doesn't seem like it has ever polled with wanting Spanish sovereignty. More like political posturing by parties in Spain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 04:39:47 PM

That bit about lost opportunities seems a little a field. Sure it'll be tougher for them but I'm sure those who want to figure out a way to get into Europe can do so. Additionally, they'll just have different friends and relationships.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 04:58:50 PM(...)maybe loses Gibralter (what IS happening there? Some co-ownership with Spain could  be possible?)

Apparently our government wants to revive some kind of co-sovereignty deal that Aznar already proposed to Blair many years ago and was soundly defeated in a spontaneous referendum there back then. Gibraltar is completely dependant on the EU so it's quite likely that they'll see it in a different way at the moment.

OttoVonBismarck

Honestly, in this day and age I think with NATO and such, British control of Gibraltar (traditionally a strategic military holding) is of no real importance in a meaningful sense to Britain. I think it's still part of Britain solely because the concept of self-determination has seen its residents overwhelmingly support remaining. If Gibraltar ever wanted to leave I think few in the British government would feel too put out about it. Similar to the situation with the Falklands in that regard, Westminster would be happy to dump it if not for the fact the residents overwhelmingly wish to remain.

Zanza

Gibraltar voted 96% remain. That suggests to me that the electorate there would go to great length to keep EU membership. Maybe some kind of autonomous status within Spain.

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on June 24, 2016, 12:49:33 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 12:42:27 PM
How many congressmen do we get?

Britain as a whole would currently get around 68-70 representatives if they were added and nothing else changed.  The tricky part would be how many Senators we'd let you have.  I'm okay with 2 each for NI, England, Scotland, and Wales.  :P

Maybe the UN will just give us the UK as a Trust Territory.

Josquius

I've been wondering about whether it could truly be a co-dominion. A sort of anglo-Spanish Andorra. Only without its own citizenship, people being free to take either/both of the others instead.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 05:15:15 PM
Gibraltar voted 96% remain. That suggests to me that the electorate there would go to great length to keep EU membership. Maybe some kind of autonomous status within Spain.

Their entire economy is dependant on being part of the EU (financial services, online betting and the like, and a lot of Spanish workforce needed to keep everything running), they can't survive out of it in the modern day once their strategic importance has all but dissappeared.

Did the Channel Islands vote or do they have a status akin to the Isle of Man of not being part of the EU?