Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Monoriu on June 25, 2016, 06:41:28 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 25, 2016, 05:28:16 AM
I present to you, the typical young Brexit voter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXPM8Xe4HC0

There is no way this is real.  This is made up.  The UK is a nation of educated people.

:lol:

But yeah. It has to be fake.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2016, 06:14:18 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 25, 2016, 05:42:41 AM
Farage says that the 350 million for the NHS won't happen.

Hannan says that he wants to keep freedom of movement for labour.

Johnson wants to push back the exit negotiations.

You guys voted to get rid of a bendy banana regulation.

QuoteLeave campaigner Nigel Evans has denied immigration will fall after the UK voted to leave the EU. The Conservative MP said there had been some "misunderstanding" over the Leave campaign's position on reducing immigration.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live's Stephen Nolan, he said the Leave campaign's plan was to "control" immigration and not necessarily reduce it.

It is really astonishing to me how they IMMEDIATELY dance back from the declarations that actually won them the campaign.

Makes the whole affair from sad and unfortunate into infuriating.

QuoteMeanwhile, Liam Fox cast doubt on the necessity of triggering the article 50 clause of the Lisbon treaty that sets out the legal process for a country's EU withdrawal.

"A lot of things were said in advance of this referendum that we might want to think about again and that [invoking article 50] is one of them," said the Conservative MP.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending

:lol:

Hamilcar

They made their bed, now they can sleep in it. Britain fades to irrelevance and poverty.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2016, 05:45:06 AM

The only person I think we know on Languish who voted for leave is Mensa and he did so for his own stup...inscrutable reasons.

So the other five people who voted "leave" in the poll at the top of the thread either changed their mind or were only pretending to be British?  :hmm: Not sure the result of the actual Referendum bears that out.

Anyway, on the £350 million pound for the NHS; the claim seems to have come originally from Gisela Stuart, vice-Chair of "vote leave", in an interview. Their official website letter actually says £100 million a week, so she may have misspoke (although I can't find she's ever retracted it and it certainly appeared on enough of their literature and other advertising to argue she said what she intended to.)

Farage was not a member of the official "vote leave" campaign, so he's disowning something he never said. Something I thought should be dropped as well.

Edit: Huh? All of a sudden, post-Referendum, it's seven Brits for leave in the poll at the top. I wonder who has wandered by in the last day or so.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on June 25, 2016, 07:32:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2016, 05:45:06 AM

The only person I think we know on Languish who voted for leave is Mensa and he did so for his own stup...inscrutable reasons.

So the other five people who voted "leave" in the poll at the top of the thread either changed their mind or were only pretending to be British?  :hmm: Not sure the result of the actual Referendum bears that out.

Anyway, on the £350 million pound for the NHS; the claim seems to have come originally from Gisela Stuart, vice-Chair of "vote leave", in an interview. Their official website letter actually says £100 million a week, so she may have misspoke (although I can't find she's ever retracted it and it certainly appeared on enough of their literature and other advertising to argue she said what she intended to.)

Farage was not a member of the official "vote leave" campaign, so he's disowning something he never said. Something I thought should be dropped as well.

Edit: Huh? All of a sudden, post-Referendum, it's seven Brits for leave in the poll at the top. I wonder who has wandered by in the last day or so.

The 350 million was on the side of Borisá bloody campaign bus in gigantic size. Do not pretend now that it was some kind of side remark by some fringe people.

The Larch

Oh Ryanair, never change.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2016, 07:43:35 AM
The 350 million was on the side of Borisá bloody campaign bus in gigantic size. Do not pretend now that it was some kind of side remark by some fringe people.

I was pointing out that Farage was actually the fringe person to the Leave Campaign, which did make hay about the £350 million claim. Criticising him for disowning a claim he didn't make by a campaign he wasn't directly part of is dumb; better to ask Johnson etc. why it was on the bus in the first place when it was such a transparent attempt to mislead.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Agelastus

Given the prevailing mood of the forum, I'm surprised no-one's posted this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHHFnUqo5o

Unfortunately a quick search doesn't find a GiF etc. of the critical scene.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 25, 2016, 07:06:15 AM
They made their bed, now they can sleep in it. Britain fades to irrelevance and poverty.

It's not like this hasn't been coming for a while.

They have neutered their armed forces.
They went full austerity.  You never go full austerity.
They even rejected military action in the noblest of causes, non-proliferation of chemical weapons.

They don't want to have anything to do with the world stage, what's going on in it or the crucial role they would play.  Withdrawing from the global economy is just the next logical step. 

They're now as geopolitical relevant as Paraguay.  Which is a true shame from the nation that brought civilization to so much of the globe and helped save the world, but hey, fuck 'em.  Enjoy your irrelevance, cunts.

Vive la France.   :frog:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 10:03:48 PM
I thought all the Boomers in Britain retired to Spain a few years ago.

A lawyer I know who is about 5 years from retirement holds a British passport and that was the plan - which is now being reconsidered.

Josquius

Looks like my plan to transfer a chunk of my savings now is on hold. One money transfer service has 2500 per customer max and the other is offering an exchange rate no better than Wednesday :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2016, 08:15:48 AM
They're now as geopolitical relevant as Paraguay.  Which is a true shame from the nation that brought civilization to so much of the globe and helped save the world, but hey, fuck 'em.  Enjoy your irrelevance, cunts.

This. They gave the world so much and decided to turn into parochial assholes afraid of everything.

Hamilcar

Soon, middle class British people will be able to own houses in London again.  :bowler:

Josquius

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 25, 2016, 08:53:15 AM
Soon, middle class British people will be able to own houses in London again.  :bowler:
Thats the lie we were sold.
Though I dont think many Russian oligarchs are EU citizens :(
██████
██████
██████