Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2016, 05:45:06 AMThe only person I think we know on Languish who voted for leave is Mensa and he did so for his own stup...inscrutable reasons.

now, just because you're a level three...  ;)

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tyr on June 25, 2016, 08:59:07 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on June 25, 2016, 08:53:15 AM
Soon, middle class British people will be able to own houses in London again.  :bowler:
Thats the lie we were sold.
Though I dont think many Russian oligarchs are EU citizens :(

London will lose a good part of its attractiveness as businesses decamp, investment declines and EU citizens move away. Supply and demand is a bitch.

Hamilcar

Best of Twitter:
QuoteI guess EU has now 1 GB of free space.

Grallon

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 25, 2016, 08:52:45 AM

This. They gave the world so much and decided to turn into parochial assholes afraid of everything.

As opposed to being (diminishing) wage slaves to a global elite that is accountable to no one?  Was that your life's goal?  And everyone else's that are now wailing like little bitches since Thursday night?  And that's not even mentioning being drowned under a tsunami of third world migrants. :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Hamilcar

Quote from: Grallon on June 25, 2016, 09:27:58 AM
As opposed to being (diminishing) wage slaves to a global elite that is accountable to no one?

I am certain that UK wages are going to diminish in the future.

Also, what's this "global elite" conspiracy crap? Been reading too much r/The_donald?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on June 25, 2016, 09:27:58 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on June 25, 2016, 08:52:45 AM

This. They gave the world so much and decided to turn into parochial assholes afraid of everything.

As opposed to being (diminishing) wage slaves to a global elite that is accountable to no one?  Was that your life's goal?  And everyone else's that are now wailing like little bitches since Thursday night?  And that's not even mentioning being drowned under a tsunami of third world migrants. :rolleyes:

G.

Excellent, the alternative of being a wage slave to a local elite is sooo much more appealing.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2016, 07:43:35 AM

The 350 million was on the side of Borisá bloody campaign bus in gigantic size. Do not pretend now that it was some kind of side remark by some fringe people.

Come on you guys, all of this stuff can't be true, it's like you're suggesting the people have been sold a pup?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

UK is going to more or less be fine. You're exaggerating the difference in a few points of GDP, here or there.

Leaving the EU is going to be an adjustment downward of their total GDP growth over time, but it's not going to make Britain "poor" and isn't guaranteed to cause a loss of real wages. 25 years from now I suspect British GDP will be higher than it is now, and its wages will be higher than they are now. Note--I mean this if you compare "like to like." Obviously if Scotland leaves the numbers won't be quite the same, but in that scenario if you compare England + Wales + NI GDP and wage rates today versus 25 years out, I think the 25 year out numbers will be higher and have shown "decent" growth.

They've hurt their future growth, and also added a large amount of hassle to the lives of their citizens, but let's not be overly-dramatic.

Countries do things that hurt their long term growth prospects all the time, like for example starting $1.5 trillion dollars in wars and cutting taxes at the same time, pushing up deficits that will create debt levels that will saddle future generations and hurt prosperity. Other examples from America would be some of the dumbest tariffs Congress passed historically.

It takes more than a downward mark against growth to turn Britain into a genuinely poor country like Russia.

Richard Hakluyt

The Treasury reckons that we will be 6% poorer than if we remained in the EU by 2030. But they also project that growth(within an unreformed EU) would be 37%. So it is 31% growth instead of 31%.

That is regarded as a scare story by the Brexiteers, Osborne spun it as £4300 per household poorer by 2030, which sounds scarier I guess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/18/eu-facts-treasury-document-unspun/

And if you have a lot of time on your hands :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hm-treasury-analysis-the-long-term-economic-impact-of-eu-membership-and-the-alternatives

Josquius

The UK England will be fine.
But then the UK was fine after 2008.
The UK was fine after Thatcher.
An awful lot of people suffered out of it though.

Edited to England as the UK is doomed as an entity.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It is the cultural aspects that disturb me most, the pinched small-mindedness, that feeling of being outside the mainstream  :mad:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 25, 2016, 10:16:09 AM
It is the cultural aspects that disturb me most, the pinched small-mindedness, that feeling of being outside the mainstream  :mad:

And it may be that those small minded people won't have others in the UK to worry about if/when Scotland leaves.

Monoriu

This is a self-inflicted wound.  Completely unnecessary.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2016, 10:36:13 AM

And it may be that those small minded people won't have others in the UK to worry about if/when Scotland leaves.

There are going to be a hell of a lot of new Irish and Scottish citizens, you just need the one grandparent it seems.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 25, 2016, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2016, 10:36:13 AM

There are going to be a hell of a lot of new Irish and Scottish citizens, you just need the one grandparent it seems.

So the total population of England will decline thanks to the referendum.  :D

edit:
And in future the little Englanders get to enjoy an England with a consequently higher proportion of ethnic minorities.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"