And we're back!

Main Menu

'The Pacific' trailer

Started by Ape, June 23, 2009, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 09, 2010, 08:42:35 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2010, 02:12:43 AM
You know, Jap's so lazy an epithet I'm surprised it's even offensive.  "Ami" and "Brit" aren't slurs.  I have the same question about "Paki."

'Ami'?  American Meat Institute?

In German, Americans are often referred to as "Ami", emphasis on "Am", the "A" is pronounced like the u in "umpire" or "unbelievable", the i a very short "ee" sound.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

I only ever hear Yank, or more rarely, Seppo

Syt

Come to think of it, it's "Ami" is pronounced like "dummy", but without the "d". :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2010, 05:52:36 AM
Quote from: Jaron on March 09, 2010, 02:49:39 AM
If Ami or Brit were used as slurs I'm sure they'd still be inappropriate.

I'm absolutely positive were not "Jap" and "Paki" used to demean defame and insult the people of these nations, no one would think twice about their usage.

I thought you were a history person, Ide? Your feigned ignorance on this topic is not amusing.

STFU, spic.

:homestar:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2010, 11:17:39 AM
Come to think of it, it's "Ami" is pronounced like "dummy", but without the "d". :unsure:
That is where the insult part comes from, then?  People don't even hate you enough to fully pronounce their insults?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2010, 01:18:53 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2010, 11:17:39 AM
That is where the insult part comes from, then?  People don't even hate you enough to fully pronounce their insults?

:huh: "Ami" in German is a pretty neutral way to speak of U.S. Americans colloquially. I'd have to think about a derogative word for Americans from a German perspective (we have plenty for European neighbours).
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on March 09, 2010, 01:26:17 PM
:huh: "Ami" in German is a pretty neutral way to speak of U.S. Americans colloquially. I'd have to think about a derogative word for Americans from a German perspective (we have plenty for European neighbours).

I always pretend you're speaking french when you call us Amis, anyway :hug:

Anywho, did the term originate in WWII?  Or before, even?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on March 08, 2010, 11:29:11 PM
To be fair, I don't consider you a racist derspiess. Somewhat prejudiced in some ways, yes, but who isn't?

I can sleep at night now-- thanks  ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Quote from: derspiess on March 09, 2010, 01:45:14 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 08, 2010, 11:29:11 PM
To be fair, I don't consider you a racist derspiess. Somewhat prejudiced in some ways, yes, but who isn't?

I can sleep at night now-- thanks  ;)

I'm sure your klan robes make comfortable sleepwear. :P

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on March 09, 2010, 01:44:23 PM
I always pretend you're speaking french when you call us Amis, anyway :hug:

Anywho, did the term originate in WWII?  Or before, even?

No idea, really. Possibly WW1?
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on March 09, 2010, 01:59:11 PM

Not as warm as your wool poncho, but it's nice in the summer.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on March 09, 2010, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 09, 2010, 01:59:11 PM

Not as warm as your wool poncho, but it's nice in the summer.

The oversized novelty sombrero, used as a siesta sunshade when not in use serving snacks, gives Jaron the edge.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jaron

Why do you insist on defining me by my ethnicity rather than my identity?

Its degrading.

garbon

You don't have an identity. I stole it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on March 09, 2010, 04:14:35 PM
Why do you insist on defining me by my ethnicity rather than my identity?

Its degrading.
I wasn't even aware you had an ethnicity.  I thought you were a unique snowflake.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!