News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'The Pacific' trailer

Started by Ape, June 23, 2009, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Reminds me, we just got a DVD called "WWII in HD" (a blu ray 2 disc set) at work. I had no idea there was HD back then   ;) , but i may watch it in prep for this. Need to double check that we have BOB on BR. I don't think so.
:p

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 08, 2010, 01:25:59 PM
Reminds me, we just got a DVD called "WWII in HD" (a blu ray 2 disc set) at work. I had no idea there was HD back then   ;) , but i may watch it in prep for this. Need to double check that we have BOB on BR. I don't think so.

Yes, the irony. Everything filmed in the pre-magnetic-video era looks great in HD, while all shot for tv video tapes will suck by comparison.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Syt on March 08, 2010, 01:31:32 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 08, 2010, 01:25:59 PM
Reminds me, we just got a DVD called "WWII in HD" (a blu ray 2 disc set) at work. I had no idea there was HD back then   ;) , but i may watch it in prep for this. Need to double check that we have BOB on BR. I don't think so.

Yes, the irony. Everything filmed in the pre-magnetic-video era looks great in HD, while all shot for tv video tapes will suck by comparison.

yeah I love that there is so much of the color footage now available, as we are no longer squeamish about seeing WWII in color, thanks I think, to WWII video games that ape band of brothers, and saving pvt ryan.
:p

derspiess

Shame on you, Hab :D

Anyway, I think I may sign up for the HBO canal while the series is running.  Of course, the wife will probably then latch on to some other HBO show & I won't be able to cancel when I'm done with it :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 08, 2010, 01:36:09 PM
yeah I love that there is so much of the color footage now available, as we are no longer squeamish about seeing WWII in color, thanks I think, to WWII video games that ape band of brothers, and saving pvt ryan.

There was a series "The Third Reich In Colour", comprised of official and private movie snippets. While they kept chronology intact, it was otherwise rather bland with useless voiceover commentary, and a soundtrack which sounded like rejected Panzer General background music.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on March 08, 2010, 01:38:10 PM
Shame on you, Hab :D

Anyway, I think I may sign up for the HBO canal while the series is running.  Of course, the wife will probably then latch on to some other HBO show & I won't be able to cancel when I'm done with it :rolleyes:

My dad has Comcast and just signed up for HBO for The Pacific, they had some deal where he got it free.  I think he said they took away the monthly fee for the DVR, which just happened to be the same price as the HBO subscription.

Admiral Yi

Anyone know which unit they picked?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2010, 03:37:20 PM
Anyone know which unit they picked?

1st Marine Div and later also 5th Marine Div, if I remember correctly...

danm you, Grey fox beaten by 22 sec...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on March 08, 2010, 03:19:34 PM
My dad has Comcast and just signed up for HBO for The Pacific, they had some deal where he got it free.  I think he said they took away the monthly fee for the DVR, which just happened to be the same price as the HBO subscription.

Time Warner Cable owes me, so I may try to browbeat one of their reps to cut me some sort of deal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2010, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2010, 12:36:59 PM
:yes: that is how it was in Hungary as well, until they abolished this fee. Since then, they use general tax money for the same purpose. :)

I wasn't aware Hungary had any canals.  What are their major ones?

I had no idea we could charge for this - you owe me some money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Sort of on topic: surfed a show on weapons last night.  Learned that the Nip Type 92 HMG's ammo came in 30 round packs instead of a continuous belt.  That, combined with the frequent jamming mean that the effective rate of fire was not that fabulous.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2010, 04:55:28 PM
Sort of on topic: surfed a show on weapons last night.  Learned that the Nip Type 92 HMG's ammo came in 30 round packs instead of a continuous belt.  That, combined with the frequent jamming mean that the effective rate of fire was not that fabulous.

A slow rate of fire, of 450 rounds per minute, didnt help either...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2009, 08:53:29 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2009, 08:43:56 AM
The Japanese will boycott it since the heroes will not be 13 year olds with giant swords.

Also not enough Rape of schoolgrils.
:(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)