And we're back!

Main Menu

'The Pacific' trailer

Started by Ape, June 23, 2009, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on March 16, 2010, 01:43:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 16, 2010, 01:35:12 PM
I get management tips from Sobel's leadership style.

Is making pouty looks when angry one of them?

That and making everybody eat Spaghetti then running them up a hill.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2010, 05:53:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2010, 05:43:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2010, 05:37:16 PM
Fuck.  When's the next episode airing?  Are they rerunning the first episode?

Yeah, it's on quite a few times this week.  Tonight at 10pm on HBO2 East, for example.

Oh hell, they're running it on HBO's webpage now.
http://www.hbo.com/#/the-pacific/index.html/

Where in that page do I click to watch the show?
I can't find it. I think that's just a commercial, or a preview, not the actual show.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Habbaku

Quote from: Siege on March 16, 2010, 03:50:44 PM
Where in that page do I click to watch the show?
I can't find it. I think that's just a commercial, or a preview, not the actual show.

You have to register first.  After doing that, you should be able to watch the episode no problem.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

BoB's first Ep was better then this one.

I'm left a little underwhelmed actually.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Yeah.  It didn't do a good job of introducing the characters and the combat was a mishmash.  Too little idea of what's going on, though I'm sure that's part of what they were going for.

Still, the visuals were very impressive and I can see potential, so I hold out hope for the series improving a lot.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Where is fahdiz?
We need someone to complain about Tom hanks in this thread.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2010, 04:31:17 PM
Where is fahdiz?
Yep.  I need to hear again how such a shit actor won back-to-back Oscars, and three Golden Globe awards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Scipio

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2010, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2010, 12:45:06 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 16, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
Great first ep.  Sure beats the first ep of BoB.
Not seen the first Pacific ep yet but BoB...aye.
They really should have started with a bit of action and landings and then flashed back to the drama and all that in England

I could not disagree more.

I really liked that they did not feel the need to cater to the typical perception that you MUST provide the barely thinking viewer with immediate action or they will drift away aimlessly.

I very much liked the first episode of BoB - their experiences training are how their story starts, and it was entirely appropriate that they did not change the sequence of the book to cater to peoples need for immediate bang bang shooting kill someone action.
I'm not sure we watched the same thing.  The episode of The Pacific I saw had three excellent establishing sequences for the three main characters; one who joined up right after Pearl; one who was a career Marine, who had reenlisted before Pearl; and one Southerner with a heart murmur who was aching to join, and whose best friend has to leave for war without him.  It demonstrated how inadequately prepared for the Japanese they were, and the fact that war in the jungle was confusing as shit.  I thought it was very measured.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on March 16, 2010, 06:17:15 PM

I really liked that they did not feel the need to cater to the typical perception that you MUST provide the barely thinking viewer with immediate action or they will drift away aimlessly.

I very much liked the first episode of BoB - their experiences training are how their story starts, and it was entirely appropriate that they did not change the sequence of the book to cater to peoples need for immediate bang bang shooting kill someone action.
I'm not sure we watched the same thing.  The episode of The Pacific I saw had three excellent establishing sequences for the three main characters; one who joined up right after Pearl; one who was a career Marine, who had reenlisted before Pearl; and one Southerner with a heart murmur who was aching to join, and whose best friend has to leave for war without him.  It demonstrated how inadequately prepared for the Japanese they were, and the fact that war in the jungle was confusing as shit.  I thought it was very measured.
You did not, indeed, watch the same thing.  Berkut was talking about the first episode of Band of Brothers, and you are talking about the first episode of The Pacific.  They are two different things, as you observe, though done by the same production team. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2010, 04:59:19 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2010, 04:31:17 PM
Where is fahdiz?
Yep.  I need to hear again how such a shit actor won back-to-back Oscars, and three Golden Globe awards.

I know Fahdiz, Fahdiz is a friend of mine. You sir, are no Fahdiz.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2010, 08:31:49 PM
You sir, are no Fahdiz.
A fact for which I daily thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Bayraktar!

garbon

I hate Tom Hanks. I can't think of a role he's been in that I liked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2010, 12:45:06 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 16, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
Great first ep.  Sure beats the first ep of BoB.
Not seen the first Pacific ep yet but BoB...aye.
They really should have started with a bit of action and landings and then flashed back to the drama and all that in England

I agree with your disagreement. I thought the pacing of BoB over its 10 episodes very good. Of course they had "only" one year (plus training) to cover, while Pacific covers over 3 years.

Something that confused me about BoB at first were the pretty large cast of characters that seemed to fade into and out of the narrative, though after watching it a second time it became much better in that regard.

Will see how Pacific pans out. Guadalcanal felt a bit incoherent and disjointed at times, but seeing how this is shown from the perspective of NCOs who don't have the full picture it seems ok.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2010, 12:07:16 PM
I hate Tom Hanks. I can't think of a role he's been in that I liked.
I'd say that's a greater sign of high quality than even two Oscars and three Golden Globes!  :)

Bayraktar!