'The Pacific' trailer

Started by Ape, June 23, 2009, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2010, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 16, 2010, 06:17:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2010, 01:32:08 PM
I could not disagree more.

I really liked that they did not feel the need to cater to the typical perception that you MUST provide the barely thinking viewer with immediate action or they will drift away aimlessly.

I very much liked the first episode of BoB - their experiences training are how their story starts, and it was entirely appropriate that they did not change the sequence of the book to cater to peoples need for immediate bang bang shooting kill someone action.
I'm not sure we watched the same thing.  The episode of The Pacific I saw had three excellent establishing sequences for the three main characters; one who joined up right after Pearl; one who was a career Marine, who had reenlisted before Pearl; and one Southerner with a heart murmur who was aching to join, and whose best friend has to leave for war without him.  It demonstrated how inadequately prepared for the Japanese they were, and the fact that war in the jungle was confusing as shit.  I thought it was very measured.
You did not, indeed, watch the same thing.  Berkut was talking about the first episode of Band of Brothers, and you are talking about the first episode of The Pacific.  They are two different things, as you observe, though done by the same production team. 
IT'S ABOUT THE CHARACTERS!
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on March 17, 2010, 01:55:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2010, 12:07:16 PM
I hate Tom Hanks. I can't think of a role he's been in that I liked.
I'd say that's a greater sign of high quality than even two Oscars and three Golden Globes!  :)

Don't fuck with the fahdiz-garbon-Peter Scolari Entente.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2010, 03:25:54 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 17, 2010, 01:55:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2010, 12:07:16 PM
I hate Tom Hanks. I can't think of a role he's been in that I liked.
I'd say that's a greater sign of high quality than even two Oscars and three Golden Globes!  :)
Don't fuck with the fahdiz-garbon-Peter Scolari Entente.

What relevance are Oscars in a world where Sandra Bullock wins?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

I'm enjoying the Peleliu episodes.

Fate

The Pacific feels inferior to BoB in most respects. They need less whoring and more firebombing downtown Tokyo.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Fate on April 19, 2010, 12:58:00 AM
The Pacific feels inferior to BoB in most respects. They need less whoring and more firebombing downtown Tokyo.
I don't remember BoB firebombing Dresden.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 19, 2010, 01:02:53 AM

I mean in terms of action in general. Pick a battle and cover it. Don't spend an entire fucking episode in Melbourne screwing the hot Aussie Greek chick. Kthnx.

citizen k

Quote from: Fate on April 19, 2010, 01:05:01 AM

I mean in terms of action in general. Pick a battle and cover it. Don't spend an entire fucking episode in Melbourne screwing the hot Aussie Greek chick. Kthnx.

They've spent two spent two episodes on Peleliu with one more next week.

Fate

Quote from: citizen k on April 19, 2010, 01:07:40 AM
Quote from: Fate on April 19, 2010, 01:05:01 AM

They've spent two spent two episodes on Peleliu with one more next week.
Yeah but 20% of the series is emo ptsd shit and fucking aussie whores. Those two hours could have been better allocated to a second Iwo Jima or Okinawa episode.

Razgovory

Personally, if I was a soldier I would have preferred to bang the Aussies rather then fight in a jungle or sit around in a mental ward.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

It's only on subscription services here, but they showed the first two episodes as a teaser this weekend. Wasn't impressed - no training intro to get to know folk before they all look the same in uniform. And I know it's realistic and portrays what the combatants experienced, but having night attack after night attack when you can't see what's going on other that by the flashes of explosions got tedious quickly.

Syt

Well, BoB also had 3 non-combat episodes: Currahee, Why We Fight and Points.

Plus, Crossroads was a generally subdued episode despite some combat action, and so was Bastogne which focused on the medic. Last Patrol hardly had any action besides the patrol.

Still, though I dl'ed the first two episodes I couldn't be bothered yet to check the following episodes. The first episode seemed horribly disjointed, and while the second one was better I didn't feel like I could "connect" to the protagonists (unlike with BoB).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Those guys spent an entire year in Melbourne.  It's part of their story.

Habbaku

I think the series has definitely picked up from what I thought were the low points of the first pair of episodes.  I greatly enjoyed the first episode of Peleliu (watching the second tomorrow) and didn't think the hospital episode was all that bad, either.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.