News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'The Pacific' trailer

Started by Ape, June 23, 2009, 05:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2010, 07:49:12 PM
It's also on On Demand already, for those that have it.
Comcast isn't so bad now is it.  ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: citizen k on March 16, 2010, 12:24:32 AM

Verizon On Demand is better.  So fuck those Comcast twats.

Razgovory

I watched it again.  I have trouble telling one young curly haired soldier from another.  I had the same problem with Black Hawk down and Band of Brothers.  I guess that's why so many films about soldiers rely on stock characters and stereotypes.  When everyone is dressed the same they are harder to tell apart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: citizen k on March 16, 2010, 12:24:32 AM

They rebranded as Xfinity is some markets because Comcast pisses so many people off.
PDH!

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2010, 05:54:59 AM
I watched it again.  I have trouble telling one young curly haired soldier from another.  I had the same problem with Black Hawk down and Band of Brothers.  I guess that's why so many films about soldiers rely on stock characters and stereotypes.  When everyone is dressed the same they are harder to tell apart.

Same here.  Had trouble except with the big meathead.  Doesn't matter, lot of them won't be sticking around long.

Grey Fox

I'll watch it when I get home after work this afternoon. Can't wait.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Scipio

Great first ep.  Sure beats the first ep of BoB.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

Quote from: Scipio on March 16, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
Not seen the first Pacific ep yet but BoB...aye.
They really should have started with a bit of action and landings and then flashed back to the drama and all that in England
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2010, 12:45:06 PM
They really should have started with a bit of action and landings and then flashed back to the drama and all that in England

I could not disagree more.

I really liked that they did not feel the need to cater to the typical perception that you MUST provide the barely thinking viewer with immediate action or they will drift away aimlessly.

I very much liked the first episode of BoB - their experiences training are how their story starts, and it was entirely appropriate that they did not change the sequence of the book to cater to peoples need for immediate bang bang shooting kill someone action.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I get management tips from Sobel's leadership style.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on March 16, 2010, 01:32:08 PM

I really liked that they did not feel the need to cater to the typical perception that you MUST provide the barely thinking viewer with immediate action or they will drift away aimlessly.

I very much liked the first episode of BoB - their experiences training are how their story starts, and it was entirely appropriate that they did not change the sequence of the book to cater to peoples need for immediate bang bang shooting kill someone action.
You are right.  Band of Brothers was about the guys in the company, not necessary a war movie first and foremost. 

PDH!

sbr

:yes:

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 16, 2010, 01:35:12 PM
I get management tips from Sobel's leadership style.

Is making pouty looks when angry one of them?

Josquius

Well, its only because I like history that I stuck with it. Even if they would spend the entire series sitting around in England it could still be interesting.
The general perception amongst my friends though was to force your way through the first few episodes and then it gets to the really good stuff.
Not necessarily just bang bang saving private ryan stuff- the concentration camp episode for instance is widely acclaimed-but something other than soldiers just not liking their commander and...yeah.
██████
██████
██████