News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Hillary's delivery just isn't good, though.  The only situation where she has been borderline funny was where some goofy comedian set her up to do a one-liner.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2016, 09:12:03 AM
Saturday was the White House Correspondent's dinner; the time when the media celebrates what is truly important, themselves.  CNN ran no less than 8 stories on this crucial event; the article that struck me as the most amusing was:

Face it: You're gonna miss President Obama's comedy

Well, yes, Barack's joke writers did come up with some zingers, but couldn't Hil just hire the same joke writers?  Barack had a dozen joke writers work on the speech for him, surely 12 joke writers could make even Hil funny.
You can't write timing.  Obama has it, and it's very unlikely that Hillary does.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 02, 2016, 09:23:36 AM

You can't write timing.  Obama has it, and it's very unlikely that Hillary does.

She has good timing on when to run for president though. Okay, a bit off on 2008, but she got it right in 2016.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

At the gym I go to they have televisions on with the sound off.  There was an ad for Movantik on TV this morning:

While I don't know what they were saying I imagine it went:

Woman:  Oh giant talking pill, you're such a large part of my life
Opioid:  You're nice, toots, but you come with a lot of baggage
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2016, 10:20:15 AM
At the gym I go to they have televisions on with the sound off.  There was an ad for Movantik on TV this morning:

"I can't swallow a pill that size"

"That's okay, it's a suppository"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

These strips ran in 1955.  It's like Charles Schultz foresaw internet debates 40 years before they came into existence:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2016, 10:29:56 AM

:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

:hmm: Whoever designed that bag was not a branding genius, I have to say.

CountDeMoney

"So how did that prescription work out for you?"
"Gee, doc...for all the good they did, I could've shoved them up my ass."

derspiess

Nice one, Raz :thumbsup:

And DG all it takes is for one empty-headed celebrity to be seen with a bag like that and it will sell like hotcakes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2016, 10:20:15 AM

You're just ripping off jokes from Futurama. <_<

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2016, 09:31:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 02, 2016, 09:23:36 AM

She has good timing on when to run for president though. Okay, a bit off on 2008, but she got it right in 2016.
Choosing to run as an establishment candidate in an election where the establishment is widely hated? She got lucky with the GOP implosion.

Admiral Yi

From Pocket World in Figures (my current bathroom reading):

Highest robbery rate is Belgium (??!!).  1,737 per 100K people.  Closest is Argentina at 975.

Highest household debt is Denmark, at 310% of annual income.  :blink:

For comparison, US is 114%.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2016, 06:19:12 PM
From Pocket World in Figures (my current bathroom reading):

Highest robbery rate is Belgium (??!!).  1,737 per 100K people.  Closest is Argentina at 975.

Highest household debt is Denmark, at 310% of annual income.  :blink:

For comparison, US is 114%.

Devil in the detail?

Maybe Denmark includes mortgages in theirs and the US excludes?? :unsure:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on May 02, 2016, 06:21:52 PM
Devil in the detail?

Maybe Denmark includes mortgages in theirs and the US excludes?? :unsure:

I sincerely doubt the US gets to 114 excluding mortgages.