And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 10, 2016, 11:45:00 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 09, 2016, 04:21:26 PM
So GE Alstom has contracted with the local university to teach us the basics of System Engineering (the discipline behind running a large projects.)

Welcome to the club. :)

You'll appreciate this; we're switching from DOORS to something called DFQ for our requirement management software.  Alstom offered an all day training on the new software for the project managers and (for the first time) a half day training for the engineers.  There were only a handful of us who took the second course.  We had to do the same exercises as the PMs.  The first was the V diagram (what gets done when in the tool.)

Instructor:  You guys did this in half the time and much quieter than the PMs.

The second was a scheduling exercise based on a flowchart.

Instructor:  I've never seen anyone get 100% on this test before.  :unsure:

I don't think any of us are cut out to be project managers, (at least I wouldn't put us in front of the customer if I could avoid it), but I thought that explains why our projects go the way they usually do.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

celedhring

Welcome to December 2015, Marty. :P

Martinus

celedhring

Kinda cool. Wonder if the ECB will accept Roman sesterces for our debt repayments  :hmm:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/29/europe/spain-roman-coins-found/index.html

Enormous 1,300 lb haul of ancient Roman coins unearthed in Spain
By Tiffany Ap, CNN
Updated 1624 GMT (2324 HKT) April 29, 2016

19 amphoras full of coins unearthed
They date from the end of the 3rd century AD to early 4th century AD
Workers digging ditches came across the treasure trove

(CNN)More than 1,300 pounds (590kg) of bronze Roman coins dating to the 3rd century A.D. have been unearthed by construction workers digging a trench in Spain.

The ancient coins were found in 19 amphoras, a type of Roman jug, in Tomares, a town in Seville province.
Lola Vallejo, Tomares Urban Councillor, told CNN-affiliate Atlas that a crew had been digging a ditch to install electricity to a park when they came across the incredible find.
"The machines hit against something that wasn't normal for this soil," Vallejo said. "The workers immediately stopped, and soon discovered that there were many coins there, inside broken amphoras."

Incredible find
"What is incredible is a discovery of this size -- there are 19 amphoras, all complete, and I can assure you that they can't be moved by one person alone, because they weigh so much due to the coins inside," said Ana Navarro, head of the Archaeology Museum in Seville.
"Ten of (the amphoras) were broken while they were digging up the trench, and the others, as you can see, we have here, whole and full of this set of coins," she continued.

The initial hypothesis is that the coins were to be used to pay taxes to the Roman empire, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais.

Valmy

So that is where Otho hid all the money he stole from his creditors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2016, 12:35:39 PM
So that is where Otho hid all the money he stole from his creditors.

Nah, that's where Hortlund stashed his outstanding child support.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Savonarola on April 29, 2016, 09:24:52 AM
You'll appreciate this; we're switching from DOORS to something called DFQ for our requirement management software.  Alstom offered an all day training on the new software for the project managers and (for the first time) a half day training for the engineers.  There were only a handful of us who took the second course.  We had to do the same exercises as the PMs.  The first was the V diagram (what gets done when in the tool.)

Instructor:  You guys did this in half the time and much quieter than the PMs.

The second was a scheduling exercise based on a flowchart.

Instructor:  I've never seen anyone get 100% on this test before.  :unsure:

I don't think any of us are cut out to be project managers, (at least I wouldn't put us in front of the customer if I could avoid it), but I thought that explains why our projects go the way they usually do.

Heh.

So y'all have non-technical PMs working in your requirements management system?  :x :yucky:

derspiess

Non-technical PMs are the salt of the earth ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

garbon

I don't see why that would be a reason to love it. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2016, 02:55:58 PM

Yeah but then you are depressed bitch, so there's probably nothing you like.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2016, 03:01:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2016, 02:55:58 PM

Yeah but then you are depressed bitch, so there's probably nothing you like.

Yeah strangely enough I don't find funerals humorous without an attempt to add some humor.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Pretty rich to call the destruction of the Death Star a terrorist attack considering it had just destroyed an entire planet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?