News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 29, 2016, 03:34:14 PM
Pretty rich to call the destruction of the Death Star a terrorist attack considering it had just destroyed an entire planet.

And was about to strike Yavin IV, so the Rebels were acting in legitimate self-defence.  Plus the Death Star was a valid military target, and the Rebels were not civillians, or acting covertly at the time of the strike.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I'm really feeling the cold lately.
Sign of age?
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

More. Hail. Golf ball sized this time, sooooooo yay it's getting smaller?

Tonitrus

I thought we had a Maryland thread long ago, but couldn't find it.

At least it wasn't an Easter bunny costume.....  :P

QuoteBaltimore TV station standoff: Wounded suspect charged with felonies
Chandrika Narayan, CNN
Updated 5:49 PM ET, Fri April 29, 2016

(CNN)Felony charges have been filed against a man who walked into a Baltimore TV news station wearing a hedgehog costume and claiming to carry explosives, Baltimore police said Friday.

Alex Michael Brizzi, 25, of Maryland, was shot and wounded by police in Thursday's incident. He was treated in a Baltimore hospital for injuries that are not life threatening, Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said at a news conference Friday.
The "bomb" turned out to be a life preserver outfitted with wires and chocolate candy bars wrapped in aluminum foil, police said.
Brizzi was charged with two felonies: second-degree arson and first-degree malicious burning, Davis said. Brizzi is accused of setting fire to his vehicle in the station parking lot.
Brizzi also faces several misdemeanor charges, including threat of arson, reckless endangerment and possession of a phony destructive device.
Police are ruling out terrorism, and say mental illness may have played a role.
The suspect's father Edward Brizzi, who spoke to CNN affiliate WBFF Thursday, said his son had lost his job and broken up with his girlfriend, and appeared to have a nervous breakdown.
The incident began at around 1:20 p.m. Thursday when an intruder entered the vestibule of the FOX45 building and engaged in conversation with a security contractor, Davis said.
Brizzi was wearing a hedgehog onesie, and his face was hidden behind sunglasses and a surgical mask.
"This outfit appears to be associated with Japanese anime culture," Davis said.
The man said he had a bomb and "a message he wanted to be heard" and handed a flash drive to the guard.
After the security contractor saw what appeared to be an explosive device strapped on the man, he alerted staff and they began to evacuate the building. At the same time, the guard engaged the suspect in conversation.
"Brizzi said he wanted to air the contents of that flash drive on television," said Davis. "What we know at this point is that the flash drive contained video rants of Brizzi talking about the end of the world."
Around 3 p.m. the suspect came out of the building but ignored police officers' orders to take his hand out of his pockets, Davis said. Three officers opened fire, striking the suspect.
Officers could not render first aid immediately because the suspect still had some sort of detonator device, Davis said.
A bomb squad robot was brought in. "The robot was able to disarm and disrobe Brizzi," Davis said.

The security contractor at the television station is being praised for keeping calm and handling a tough situation.
Joural Apostolides told WBFF that he talked to the intruder for about 45 minutes Thursday.
"At first I thought it was a joke," Apostolides told the station. "I mean, he was wearing a hedgehog onesie. So I didn't really think it was serious, but then he kept on saying he didn't want to hurt anyone and ... I told him that I understood that and, if he wanted to sit tight, I would try to help him out."
Police Commissioner Davis said he may like to hire the guard.
"I can't say enough about the security contractor, what he did yesterday, he is absolutely a hero," said Davis.
"I don't know if that's just his nature, I don't know if that's his training, it's probably a combination of both, but that grace under pressure is something that's admirable, that's something that not everyone has ... he stayed engaged with this person and simultaneously evacuated the building, and that's impressive."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 29, 2016, 09:53:00 PM
I thought we had a Maryland thread long ago, but couldn't find it.

At least it wasn't an Easter bunny costume.....  :P

lol, fuck you.

Apparently it was candy bars strapped together.  Dumbass couldn't even find an AutoZone for some flares, had to tape a shitload of Twix bars together.

MadBurgerMaker

Huh.  The new Fiat 124 is a good looking little car.  It's a reworked Miata, so probably fun to drive too.

E:  Oh, an image that will probably be too big:

The hood looks a little Chrysler-ish though.   :hmm:  Or something.

CountDeMoney

I anticipate it will be a big hit with the lesbian crowd.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2016, 01:37:43 AM

It's not a Wrangler. 

DGuller

It's not bad, but nothing beats the original 124.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 30, 2016, 01:42:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2016, 01:37:43 AM

It's not a Wrangler.

You're just mad they don't make the PT Cruiser anymore.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 30, 2016, 10:22:43 AM
You're just mad they don't make the PT Cruiser anymore.

If I wanted a slow and uncomfortable SUV again, I'd just get another Jeep or an FJ.   :) 

Speaking of cars, we just got back from seeing the insurance dudes about the hail damage to our cars.  Both of us are going to have to replace the hood, roof, and essentially one whole side of our vehicles.  She's getting a new windshield too, my sunroof rails and all the little shit in there are having to be replaced.   E:  Oh and the fancy auto liftgate thing on hers has to be repaired.  Couple of weeks in the shop for both of them.

Photo of the hood:

It's like that all down that side. :bleeding:  I was standing in the garage watching when it got blasted there on the corner.  That was nice to see.

Tonitrus

Another reason to not look forward to the possibility of moving back to San Antonio.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2016, 11:59:16 AM
Another reason to not look forward to the possibility of moving back to San Antonio.

Please don't.  E:  And tell everyone you know who is thinking about it to stay out too.  Tell them there is hail every day or something.  There are too many fucking people moving here.

Josquius

Bloody hell.
The guy working in this pub.
Me: I'll have beer x
Him. Very bluntly: you can't have beer x.
Me: eh? Why? (Been a while since I was IDed....)
Him: because we're out. That's why.

I hope he was just trying to scare me for fun there. As that was.... a weird way of putting it.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Saturday was the White House Correspondent's dinner; the time when the media celebrates what is truly important, themselves.  CNN ran no less than 8 stories on this crucial event; the article that struck me as the most amusing was:

Face it: You're gonna miss President Obama's comedy

Well, yes, Barack's joke writers did come up with some zingers, but couldn't Hil just hire the same joke writers?  Barack had a dozen joke writers work on the speech for him, surely 12 joke writers could make even Hil funny.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock